Hoyt Pro Defiant 34

You need coaching from a professional or experienced archer. Possibly a bow tuning issue as well. In a half hour I could have you shooting a group 1/4 that size. YouTube can be your friend... nock on videos might be a little advanced but you'll pick up enough details to help you out. Ed F

Getting closer, well kinda. I have the fine tune adjustments maxed out though, I wonder if there is a way to get more play out of the sight, like a spacer or something. I need to adjust it down and left just a wee bit more.

B60877FD-B042-42D7-B98E-63B6A05E4185.jpeg

Reactions: Jred
take a lesson now before you get some bad habits.

when you first shoot. you are only focused on form. forget the groups! the only way to get the correct form is to take a lesson and have someone teach you. once you have the muscle memory down then you can Tune the bow and get to making tiny groups.

Just picked up a Hoyt Pro Defiant 34, came with a Trophy Ridge React sight, Bstinger stabilizer, apex quiver, whiskerbiscuit arrow rest and 12 Axis arrows. The guy said it was restrung 2 months ago. Going to take it to the bow shop tomorrow and have them tune and adjust it and get on their indoor range to see if I can hit the broad side of a barn, I have not shot a bow since boy scouts 30 years ago, should fun. I always wanted to take a bear with a bow.

Got a killer deal on it, hope it gets a clean bill of health from the pro shop tomorrow.

View attachment 38582
i go up to the sierras for bear. i could use a back up or visa versa :D

take a lesson now before you get some bad habits.

when you first shoot. you are only focused on form. forget the groups! the only way to get the correct form is to take a lesson and have someone teach you. once you have the muscle memory down then you can Tune the bow and get to making tiny groups.

I took a lesson when I fist got it and when I go shoot he is on the range and will stop by and give me tips when he sees me doing something wrong. Probably time for another one now I have a little range time under me.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Your doing good trap. Keep working the form. And same anchor point.
It will take time. Ask some of the guys to join that are local to you.
Practice together. It helps.

I am not an expert by any means, as a matter of fact I have never shot a bow, but I am getting interested on acquiring one and have fun with it. I came across this video and then I checked this guy's channel and find it to be legit.
I hope it can help you.

I’m not trying to hijack the thread but I also recently got a bow and I have what I think is a relevant question. Are compound bow arrows usually the same size? I know you can get them in different sizes but are most sold about a standard size? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: longbowhunter2
I’m not trying to hijack the thread but I also recently got a bow and I have what I think is a relevant question. Are compound bow arrows usually the same size? I know you can get them in different sizes but are most sold about a standard size? Thanks!

They are different based off your draw length, bow, and type of shooting you want to do. Mine were custom cut to size by my bow shop. The blanks may come in standard sizes.

always make sure you have arrows that fit your bow. If you go down to Bow and Arrow shop they will make the arrows precisely for your bow. A long arrow wont really do any harm but if you draw back an arrow that is too short you might end up with it in your hand or wrist.

Reactions: Dawnandusk

The length, the spine of the arrow,
And the weight g per in.
There a bit of information
It will be based on your draw length, draw weight, and your style..

Last edited:
Reactions: Dawnandusk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu