Hunting around Vail Lake

Status
Not open for further replies.

topher1111

Sep 30, 2014
Last deer season, my brother and I went hunting behind vail lake last year (d-15). Vail lake is just east of Temecula if you don't know where it is. Earlier this year, the local water district (Rancho Water) purchased the lake and some of the property around the lake. There is a road behind the lake and there are water district signs on the right side of the road and that side is closest to the lake. But, they also put signs on the left side of the road and they don't own that side of the road because on google earth, it shows the left side of the road being BLM land. they also put a gate closer to the paved road that you turn from to get on the dirt road to close of the dirt road.

My question is can I still hunt on the left side of the road? Also if I go through the gate, would that be trespassing even though they don't own the road? If you have any suggestions that I could do to talk to the water district, that would help.

Thank You

Wow that really sucks.......killed a forky back there 15 years ago

I'd call the local warden and ask him I think it's Dustin

I have hunted around and fished Vail for many years....Not now....Had permission for along time from Rancho Water (lost it when Sundance Meadows took it over)....To my knowledge there is no public land near the lake......Even Mt Diablo (north shore) is privately held......Across from the entrance is the Cleveland NF, but is D-16. Also, Dripping Springs is D-16 as well (friend got a buck here once).

If the gate down the canyon from the dam is posted, I would make damn sure that they don't have the right to post it before crossing it (which happens with water districts)......2 cents

ps......One of the biggest bucks I've ever seen in SoCal used to live near Bayou bay.

pss.....The biologist for that area is a good friend. I'll send him a PM and ask.

BLM land changes hand a lot due to leasing so you need current info. Talk to the BLM agent or the game warden to make sure you aren't trespassing.

sportyg said:
I came across a couple nice deer around dripping springs last year not far from the camp ground, (hiking the area and breaking brush) speaking of the brush it is so heavy chances of getting one of them is slim..

When this area burns, it will be awesome deer hunting......Above Dripping Springs hasn't burned in many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu