Hunting arrow weight.

G

Goyaałé

What are some recommendations and why? Currently total arrow weight is 379gr with 59lbs kentic energy at 265 fps. According to the calculator.. If I drop to a 350gr arrow I have 58lbs kentic energy at 273.5 fps... with a 400gr arrow I have 59.5lbs at 264 fps... What do you have set up, and why you like it. Thanks. I hope everyone has a great day.

We are missing some info here

Head weight
Shaft length, size, type
Bow weight

Do not get hung up on ke and speed. Shoot a 100 or 125gr head with the correct hunting carbon shaft length and spine matched off the arrow makers chart. (bow shop will do this for you to sell you arrows) the lower cost shafts are just fine !!

Last edited:
Reactions: Goyaałé
Hi All been out for a while hope all is well with every one.
Aeon is a pro and I agree with his comment.
but I prefer heavy in wind, and mechanical, & fixed broad head for close shots.
i researched this same question...... if I remember correctly 8 gms per inch
minimum for windy areas, heavy arrow for windy shots... light arrow with no wind issues.
but this is like which car is better Honda, Toyota, or ?
my 2 cents

Reactions: Goyaałé
Hi All been out for a while hope all is well with every one.
Aeon is a pro and I agree with his comment.
but I prefer heavy in wind, and mechanical, & fixed broad head for close shots.
i researched this same question...... if I remember correctly 8 gms per inch
minimum for windy areas, heavy arrow for windy shots... light arrow with no wind issues.
but this is like which car is better Honda, Toyota, or ?
my 2 cents

Hi Lee......Hope all is well.

@Aeon thank you sir. I have 100gr muzzy broadheads. Going to buy some 125gr QAD Exodus broadheads. I will go to Bow n Arrow shop for my arrows. I was at the range today and someone told me to there as well.
@longbowhunter2 I need to go to the bow n arrow shop to get set up for this next year. Well set up on my budget. I hope all is well Lizandro.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu