Hunting Boots D11, D14, D15, D16

Camo_Man

Jan 18, 2015
Curious if anyone uses snake boots or gators in these hunt areas? If so, what is your preferred brand/make/model? I've been coming across several snakes on hiking paths and thinking it might be a wise investment? Especially if going trail blazing through chaparral?

Depending on the time of year, I use gaiters. Wish I had some snake boots but the gaiters work fine (not tested thank god). I've found skin sheds a bunch but have yet to run into a rattler in D15. Some of these San Diego D16 boys see them a bunch. There was another topic on gaiters. Some talk about snake boots on it too.
http://southerncaliforniahunting.com/huntersforum/index.php/topic,7592.msg59610.html#msg59610

I've never worn snake boots or gaiters during deer season, but I have seen one rattler......Many years ago outside of Ramona.

Pretty slim odds, but as light and reasonably priced as gaiters are......Why take the chance?.....2 cents

Never seen any snakes in d11 at least in the areas I hunt. As for d15 yeah lots of them and they are some huge ones. I had the pleasure of meeting 3 of them in one day :-\ . I did get some gaiters after that but need to return them cause they were defective.

chava714 said:
Never seen any snakes in d11 at least in the areas I hunt. As for d15 yeah lots of them and they are some huge ones. I had the pleasure of meeting 3 of them in one day :-\ . I did get some gaiters after that but need to return them cause they were defective.

Just out of curiosity.......How'd you find out they were defective...... ;D

Took them for a hike durring a light misting rain and they started to wear from the side and ended up tearing all the way through. Almost like the rain was melting the nylon protector and outher lining. I can post picture in a few.

chava714 said:
Took them for a hike durring a light misting rain and they started to wear from the side and ended up tearing all the way through. Almost like the rain was melting the nylon protector and outher lining. I can post picture in a few.
$0.02... invest in some Turtleskins. They get hot as *%$@ when hiking but they're so light and comfy its not a big deal.

I purchased my Irish Setters on fieldsupply.com at a great discount. Love the boots. That website has some smoking deals if you check back periodically.

Anyone know of a good hunting boot retailer with good selection in the O.C. Preferably or surrounding counties?

Bass pro shops in Rancho Cucamonga is a good bet. There is a Kenetrek retailer in Bakersfield but that's a drive.

Bonejour said:
Bass pro shops in Rancho Cucamonga is a good bet. There is a Kenetrek retailer in Bakersfield but that's a drive.

Plus 1 on BPS......Always try hunting boots on 1st. Even brands/styles change from year to year..... ;)

Agree with MJB about REI, and besides, I have not had a good experience with hiking boots on game paths. Too little ankle support for the uneven surfaces and gopher holes we sometimes run on during a stalk, and they are often narrow in the sole of the heel which adds extra threat to your ankle. Hiking boots are built for walking human trails. They're not built for the terrain we travel when spotting and stalking.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu