Hunting boots

Benjammin

Feb 5, 2015
Alpine, California
Good day. Looking for any input on some good heavy duty boots. Doing my first archery elk hunt in Colorado in September & need a good pair of boots. I have been doing my research & really like the danner mountain assault or danner full curl. If anyone has any input on danner boots or any others would be greatly appreciated. Any other info on Colorado, Montrose area to be exact would be incredible as well. Thank you very much & have a great day. Ben.

Ben, here are some thoughts.
I hunted first rifle season in area 64 (east of Montrose, between the valley and Black Canyon NP) last year and will go back again this October. Weather will be variable there in late Sept, with anything from hot sunny daytimes to frost, sleet and even snow. But you won't need insulated boots. It's rugged country with some steep slopes. If you plan to spot and stalk, you'll want lighter boots but support is a good idea because you are likely to be side-hilling. Preparation for altitude will help if you are going high. Last year I was anywhere from 7,500 to 11,000 ft. It helped that I had hunted at 8500 ft in WY the week before I went to CO. If you can do a little training in the local scal mountains before you go, it will benefit you in CO. Hope this helps you.

Benjammin said:
Good day. Looking for any input on some good heavy duty boots. Doing my first archery elk hunt in Colorado in September & need a good pair of boots. I have been doing my research & really like the danner mountain assault or danner full curl. If anyone has any input on danner boots or any others would be greatly appreciated. Any other info on Colorado, Montrose area to be exact would be incredible as well. Thank you very much & have a great day. Ben.

I use the Danner Proghorn in 400 ins they are great very little break in req. have had them 5-6 years great boot

^^^^ like he said....

If you do danner get the American made ones it's a huge difference in quality & fit.......like Don said if you go high go light and stay away from the mountaineering boots they tend to be too stiff. I would get a boot that goes 10"+ so you have protection and support. If you can bring more than one pair of boots do.....I bring some waterproof boots "muck" incase it's wet good light hiking boots and running shoes incase it's close spot and stalk like with bow hunting. My last elk hunt no rain so it was the light weight boot only. And don't trust any leather boot that said its waterproof......

Locals usually have some of the best intel.....hit the coffee shops for breakfast it never hurts I've also had good luck at gas stations for recent spottings of elk......gotta find them first then you can hunt them

I haven't been hunting that long so I have not had a ton of experience with different boot manufactures or models but I'm currently using Cabela's "Perfekt™" Ultimate Hunter Fit IQ by Meindl. They did not need any break in which really surprised me and I have about 20 miles on them at this time. I'm not sure how they will hold up long term but they seem to be built extremely solid and I'm very happy with them.

MJB said:
^^^^ like he said....

If you do danner get the American made ones it's a huge difference in quality & fit.......like Don said if you go high go light and stay away from the mountaineering boots they tend to be too stiff. I would get a boot that goes 10"+ so you have protection and support. If you can bring more than one pair of boots do.....I bring some waterproof boots "muck" incase it's wet good light hiking boots and running shoes incase it's close spot and stalk like with bow hunting. My last elk hunt no rain so it was the light weight boot only. And don't trust any leather boot that said its waterproof......

Locals usually have some of the best intel.....hit the coffee shops for breakfast it never hurts I've also had good luck at gas stations for recent spottings of elk......gotta find them first then you can hunt them

+1......I loved my Danner Pronghorns......The new Pronghorns are different though......Try what ever boot you buy on 1st and walk around some......2 cents

Tested out a pair of vaprtrek irish setters by red wings i got from bass pro. super comfy, wish i they made one authorized for my uniform, id wear em all the time!

Whats yalls advice on socks for the early season in SD?

I like Merino wool socks made for Cal Waterfowl Assoc........Also, wear the thinner lifetime warrantied Bass Pro Shops socks (better for the heat).....I've taken back 2 pair and got new pair......No questions asked.

.http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.basspro.com%2FRedHead-Lifetime-Guarantee-AllPurpose-Socks-for-Men%2Fproduct%2F34713%2F&ei=Q6SQVaDsOIHtgwTBk7qgCA&usg=AFQjCNGWtxq8_d0FleM4P2pPAgbyIf59kg&sig2=s5ajSQi7MFQuzZgcF0D9Og&bvm=bv.96783405,d.eXY

ilovesprig said:
I like Merino wool socks made for Cal Waterfowl Assoc........Also, wear the thinner lifetime warrantied Bass Pro Shops socks (better for the heat).....I've taken back 2 pair and got new pair......No questions asked.

Poor cashier.....

I use synthetic Hurley liners then thick Merino wool socks outside. If it's cold I ditch the liners....

Mark,

I like Hurley liners as well...........And poor cashier?...........I think they're like 10 bucks a pair.......... ;D

Just wanted to up date on boots. I purchased the danner 7" mountain assault boot. OMG absolutely incredible boot. Wore them around the house & the most comfortable boot I have ever had !!! Normally wear a size 10 EE (wide) & ordered a 10 1/2 wide as a lot of reviews I read said boot runs slightly small. Cant wait to get out in the heat on 6/30 & put some miles on them. Will update more info after I get sum accents up Viejas mountain.
If anyone is in need of some great boots check out amazon.com On sale right now for $ 241.72. Normally $ 299.95. Thanks again gents for the info Have a great day.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu