Hunting in the morning D16 -(Hunted) One more on the ground!

NBK

Trying to be the man my dog thinks I am.
GOLD SITE SUPPORTER
Mar 8, 2011
San Diego, Ca.
Heading out in the morning to see if D16 has a little love for me. I was coming off the mountain tonight from a duck hunt in the valley and it was 45 degrees. Something has got to happen soon.

Will report back mid-day tomorrow.

Re: Hunting in the morning D16

Word on the street guys is that NBK and his hunting partner have put a whopper on the ground this morning, Stay tuned for more updates.

Re: Hunting in the morning D16

Nice........... Can't wait.

Re: Hunting in the morning D16 - One more on the ground!

OK...Last minute decision to head out and hunt. I was coming home from duck hunting last night and Rusty & I decided to put a deer hunt together this morning. The last two days have been cold on the mountain so we thought the deer would be on the move. I sent him a text later in the evening telling him I had an idea I want to try because of the cold snap..

We were on the mountain by 5:30 am and in our blind by 6:00 am. We saw two doe's and a spindly buck on the way to the blind. The wind was terrible all morning. We did not see a single deer once we were set up. For sure the wind was the culprit. After about an hour of sunlight I decided to try my idea. I started to rattles some deer antlers I brought. Sat for a bit and no love. Repeat process at about 7:30 am...nothing. Both of us started talking a bit as the 8:00 am mark was approaching. I told Rusty earlier that the game cam was showing repeatable activity at 8:00am so we hung out a bit. At about 8:10 (Rusty needed to head back to work) Rusty says "give it one more good rattle and if nothing happens we will pack it up". So I go ahead and rattle her up. We wait a couple of minutes - nothing. So I get up and walk a few feet to take a wiz before we leave----------------------------and Rusty whispers "a buck". I look over and there is this buck coming in at about 100 miles an hour to the rattle. He stops for a second behind a tree, I whisper "are you going to shoot him Rusty"? He says "Yup"! The deer heads down the hill - I give him a loud grunt and he stops but his ass is facing us. The buck starts to move again and Rusty says "give him another grunt" so I oblige him and the deer stops and quarters. Well not a terrific time to do that for the deer - Rust smashes this thing as if it were hit by the hammer of Thor. The rest is history or should I say packaged meat.

I am sure Rusty can spiff up the story but that is how I remember it. It was an awesome morning with a great guy who is a great shot. Rusty's first deer and he's on the contest board!

Attachments

• P1050986.JPG
    P1050986.JPG
    630.9 KB · Views: 72
  • P1050987.JPG
    P1050987.JPG
    627.1 KB · Views: 68
  • Rusty.jpg
    Rusty.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 52
  • P1060001.JPG
    P1060001.JPG
    656.9 KB · Views: 62
Congrats you guys! I'm telling you, rattle horns is the best kept secret for socal deer. Way to get it done, thats a monster of a muley too.

That's a nice deer! I just dug out some old antlers. It's time to learn how to rattle! Great Job!

Great buck Rusty!

The rifle bar has been set. Lungpopper and TA will be passing on a lot great buck before they see anything bigger than this toad. This is getting good now.

That is awesome guys, Congrats Rusty what a great deer to get for your first one. Hear that it is at Lyons and O’ Havers which means you are in good hands. I like the hole that buck has in his front left horn, great character

NBK said:
Heading out in the morning to see if D16 has a little love for me. I was coming off the mountain tonight from a duck hunt in the valley and it was 45 degrees. Something has got to happen soon.

Will report back mid-day tomorrow.
Well done, hats are off. He's huge. From duck to buck, happy days.

Wow! Smokin' buck for sure! Gotta love it when you get a local deer with both eye guards and those are probably the best I have seen around here! Congrats!

Good spread on those antlers, i never even thought about rattling, would the ones you can get from bass pro work or do they need to be real antlers? I guess i better get on the shed hunting this off season.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu