Hunting Pack

ericl23

Dec 3, 2013
Hey all

OK so I am slowly putting my gear together for my first year of hunting. I picked up my rifle,boots and binos. Now I need some advice on a hunting pack. I plan on doing just day trips to begin with but would like a pack that is up-gradable if I decide to do any multi-day backpacking. Went to REI and Bass pro Shops but they didn't have much. Any suggestions on where I can go to try on some packs? Also what do you guys look for in a pack?

Thanks

Eric

For my 1-2days trips I use my Badlands superday pack, works well for me whether I have my rifle or my bow, tons for room for all my gear, and I have even packed out a few deer in it with no problems, after 4 seasons its still a great bag, and it holds a life time warranty even if its your fault the will fix/replace it for free. Anything longer then a 1-2day I would look for something with a frame

Mark, does the pack have extra 4-way anchors or did you bone the deer to carry them out? Hard to picture packing out a deer with a non-frame pack. :?

Sent via Tapatalk

badlands super is a great pack like M_juttner said for Multi day packs i only use an internal frame gregory. I have 4 different packs and all my kids have gregorys even my 11 yr old daughter. they are internal from so they are narrower then an external the internal frame stays with you and lets you climb, jog, squat, and even crawl while holding 80lbs or more depending on the pack. (Think mt everst or K2) the only real problem i have with them for hunting big game is they are not made for bloody dirty game. so take a good game bag and attach it to the out side whit a good water proof nylon tarp or bag between the bad and the game bag. but iv had my gregorys for over 20 years and i have no idea what they are like today.

Bonejour said:
Mark, does the pack have extra 4-way anchors or did you bone the deer to carry them out? Hard to picture packing out a deer with a non-frame pack. :?

Deboned in game bags and cape out and then a mess net straped to the bag

I like my Badlands 2800. I use it to hunt and train with. Its been used and abused and still is in great shape.

Attachments

• DSC00455_3.jpg
    DSC00455_3.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 202
Srfnkill said:
I like my Badlands 2800. I use it to hunt and train with. Its been used and abused and still is in great shape.

Wow - that takes a game pack to a whole new level. Nice job Srfnkill! That is just awesome! Who needs a pack-frame?

Blacks Creek Western with an Elk quarter. I'm not the type of person to baby anything and it's held up really well.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    321.7 KB · Views: 175
Lungpopper said:
Blacks Creek Western with an Elk quarter. I'm not the type of person to baby anything and it's held up really well.

- That elk quarter looks familiar! ;)

Take a look at the Eberlestock line, lots to choose from I have couple of day packs (mini me & X2 ) both have served me well over the years. A good friend has the j 36 and has had good luck with it. We have both packed out elk with our j 36 and X2 and have found them to be worthy

I use the Blacks Creek Western as well although I believe it is no longer in production.

Thanks for the suggestions. What features do you look for in a huntingpack? Also where is a good place to try on some packs?

Eric

If u want a budget pack, u could pick up a MarCor issue ILBE pack on Craigslist. I didn't have money to spend on an Eberlestock so I picked up an ILBE locally for $80 in good condition, primarily for overnight trips and deer hunts. Its rated for 120#. For small game missions I use a simple day pack though.

Camofire routinely has the Badlands superday pack, if you like those. I have one for day hunt with the kids and my gear in it, it works well for us.

msteiger said:
Srfnkill said:

We need a new thread. Big animals, little packs.

Whatever it takes to get it done. I took the other quarter of the elk shown in Lungpopper's photo with a little Crooked horn pack. It all works, some are just a little easier to manage than others. There are pros and cons to all of them.

I will say though, The Eberlestock X2 is an awesome pack...

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu