Hunting/Scouting vehicles

Well, it was an '02 Ford Explorer SportTrac up until last year. Then found an F-150 SuperCrew '14 with only like 32K on it. Thoroughly loving the huge backseat. Now I can just keep my cooler inside the truck when I'm gone. Don't have to fuss with locking it to the pickup bed. Last Year I finally wore-out my first pair of Salomon Quest 4D GTX boots. So got another set.

18 silverado z71 its nice to get it dirty once in a while.
7.1 liter? Eek.. they are fun to put your foot in, but not fun at the pump.

EDIT: Hmmph, guess they only go up to 6.2L now. Learn something new everyday.

7.1 liter? Eek.. they are fun to put your foot in, but not fun at the pump.

EDIT: Hmmph, guess they only go up to 6.2L now. Learn something new everyday.

lol I have the 5.7 don't have a use to justify the 6.2 . the z71 is just a 4wd model with a badge and some bling

cool looking rigs. I just put a leveling kit on my 13 f150 yesterday. Mostly a tow rig, but it should see a bit more dirt this year.

When I dont have a ton of time to go scouting around trails to see how beat up they are in the truck, I hop on the bike to check things out.

44504892_10213248092576552_2591747609035014144_n.jpg

I had seriously considered getting a MtnBike with like a 750W or 1000W motor on it. And slap some panniers on it. But when I explained to them how much weight I'd need to have it help me ride back up how many miles... there like yeah... no... it's not gonna be able to do that much for that far of a distance.

One place in D11, sometimes I'll bomb along down the road down into there on the MTB. You're essentially riding brakes the whole time down. It's not too bad... conserves a lot of energy on that way down. The only thing is that then you've got a little more exertion on way back up since you gotta push the bike up, or ride it when the road flattens up occasionally.

And then the last switchback to Hwy 2 is deeply rut-grooved, so you'd have to pick it up in the center and carry it thru those erosion ditches on that trail. And that's at thee very end of the trail. I can do it with regular hardtail MTB (this one I've had since '93)... but the thought of doing that with an MTB with a motor and batteries is another ball of wax altogether.

And ya gotta be careful too, comin' down one time after our first nice batch of rains... came around the corner to all this fallen rock...
Thankfully I'd seen a Family of Does on across over on the other side so I had already slowed down, otherwise this rockfall mess just might have caught me by surprise, since I was pushin' it a bit to hurry up and get down in there. Reminded me of a good lesson from riding Desert... if you can't see around a corner or over a rise? Slow way the bleep down since somebody else could be comin' from the other direction and smash right into ya!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu