Hunting / Shooting sights to see in California

s13tsilvia

Aug 21, 2014
Australia
Well as per my post in the newbie thread I want to check out some shooting / hunting things while in California

Is there any basspro's or cabelas nearby or any other large hunting stores etc as i have heard they are amazing and we have nothing to compare with them in Australia so naturally want to check em out and make some purchases.

Any other cool things to do / see / experience that are within driving distance of Carlsbad?

Cheers Josh

I believe the closest Bass Pro to you is in Rancho Cucamonga which is a bit of a drive, in my opinion, just to shop but it might be worth going if you have never been :)

Turners Outdoorsman will probably have most everything you want but it isn't even close to the bass pro "experience". I know there is one in Temecula and I'm pretty sure there is one somewhere in Escondido.

Hope this helps

Josh,

Since you'll be in Carlsbad. The nearest Bass pro shop will be in Rancho Cucamonga.......You definitely need to go......About an hour and a half drive.

Smaller sporting good stores around too. Turner's, Faith armory, and even Fine Firearms, if you don't mind driving some.

s13tsilvia said:
im not worrried about driving, happy to drive up to 4-5 hours to see things

There is a Cabelas in Glendale AZ. It's about a 6 hour drive from where you will be. Lots of lifesize mounts in that store, including an Elephant. They are really big up close.

Lungpopper said:
s13tsilvia said:
im not worrried about driving, happy to drive up to 4-5 hours to see things

There is a Cabelas in Glendale AZ. It's about a 6 hour drive from where you will be. Lots of lifesize mounts in that store, including an Elephant. They are really big up close.

Yes, it is!.....The cape buffalo is damn impressive as well............. ;D

Attachments

• DSCF0071.JPG
    DSCF0071.JPG
    848.8 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCF0073.JPG
    DSCF0073.JPG
    610.7 KB · Views: 17
Might even want to try and get on a boat to catch some of our local tuna. The bite is wide open and you can get into some really good action.

Matagi said:
Might even want to try and get on a boat to catch some of our local tuna. The bite is wide open and you can get into some really good action.

He said in his other post he's coming in December. Sadly, no tuna at that time of year.

not really interested in the fishing, i have access to awesome fishing over here from trout to sharks! would rather go hunting or look at hunting shops, fire automatic guns as they are banned here!

There are no Cabela's stores in CA. I have wondered if that is so they don't have to charge sales tax on catalog and on-line orders in a state that is pretty costly to do business in anyway?

Doh! Well not a whole lot of hunting in December other than ducks/geese, hogs, and varmints in socal area. When the time comes near, send me a PM and I might be able to get you out on the range to shoot some auto guns.

that would be great mate, thanks for the offer!

even some good old duck hunting with autos would be fun, we are stuck with our under and overs here, sadly they took the autos away before i took up duck shooting :(

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu