Hunting with LRC Rifles

Jethro_Dull

Nov 21, 2023
Stupid question #1

What's the consensus on hunting with Heavy barreled LRC chassis rifles? I know the weight makes a big difference packing in and out. Im pushing 15lbs on mine now. Misery will ensue on a big hike. I get it.

I have heard from some of the "old timers" You don't need all that fancy chassis systems cheek risers and what not. personally I like it.

What's your experience with hunting chassis with guides, do they frown on it?

Need some ammo for the boss lady when I end up buying another rifle.....

Thanks
Tim

Like with most things in life, find a nice balance.

I went the ultralite route with a bow, my groups opened up considerably. Big mistake. I went back to a longer/heavier bow (39" ATA) and it shoots fantastic. I'll gladly carry the extra weight/length because of the added accuracy. I am sure that 15lb rifle that is fitted to you shoots like a dream. Your weapon is what you do the killing with and it should be as lethal (to YOU) as possible. If someone wants to criticize it because it's not what they used, it's just their ego talking.

Dude..if you plan on using a guide..make sure that slacker carrys that rifle and the dead mammal....Earn his Fee!!!!

I just got back from our hunt and my 300wm was just over 15#s. Several people said it was WAY too heavy. We put almost 16 miles on our boots in 2 days without any complaints.

Dude..if you plan on using a guide..make sure that slacker carrys that rifle and the dead mammal....Earn his Fee!!!!

Amen. If someone wants to talk about how tough they are give them the opportunity to prove it to you. You're doing them a favor. They will probably thank you.

If you shoot well with a heavy rifle, go for it. Honestly I prefer a heavier rifle they are easier to shoot. I love carrying the lightweight stuff but much more technical to shoot

Reactions: Jethro_Dull
Have the guide carry my gun for me, right, hell, maybe I could just have him shoot the game for me while I stay in the hotel.
I know a guy who's been a licensed guide for 29 years..old staunchy bastard ..has to be about mid 50s or so..he tells me there is some truth this statement John...man he has some stories..

I know a guy who's been a licensed guide for 29 years..old staunchy bastard ..has to be about mid 50s or so..he tells me there is some truth this statement John...man he has some stories..
Is that guide a member of one very familiar hunting forum?????

As a guide I would rather a client be able to shoot well with whatever gun they feel most confident with then having a lighter gun. If your more confident with shooting a heavier rifle you will probably be more confident at further distances which can make everyone’s like a little easier.

I say to each his own. I prefer to carry lighter rifles. If you are hunting @HATCHET1 style or doing a short hunt or you are 20 years old, a heavier rifle is fine. Longer hunts in rugged terrain and being beyond the youth age, lighter rifles add value.

Heavier rifles are more accurate is a myth. Certainly they can be held more steady, but more accurate, nope...

Most folks don't shoot off hand so today's rifles are generally set up to be shot off of some sort of rest, bi-pod etc.

Back to "to each their own".

I can shoot extremely light rifles well at a range but have found that under high stress situations and in field positions my form goes out the window. However, I never want to carry more weight then necessary.

So i have found that I prefer my rifles between 8.5 to 9.5 lb all in. It is a great balance between carry-ability and shoot-ability (including follow up shots).

Reactions: Jethro_Dull

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu