Huntndogs inspired me to cook a nice Sunday elk dinner!

NBK

Trying to be the man my dog thinks I am.
GOLD SITE SUPPORTER
Mar 8, 2011
San Diego, Ca.
Dinner1.jpg Dinner2.jpg Dinner3.jpg Rolled Elk with Pesto and Bacon - Roasted Pasilla Chillies - Smashed Garlic Potatoes - Fresh Garden Salad

Our New Mexico Butcher Mike wanted me to try a different cut of the elk shoulder. It is known as a flat iron steak.

I pounded the steak into a rectangle with a meat hammer (you can also use a piece of flank steak)

Laid meat out flat and layered it with some applewood smoked bacon (bacon cooked medium - floppy)

Then spread a thick layer of fresh pesto over the layer of bacon

Roll the meat with the grain into a roll and tie very tight with baking string

Brown in olive oil then put on a roasting rack and season with kosher salt and garlic powder

Cook in a preheated oven @ 375 degrees for 25 minutes.

Pull out of oven and cover with a towel for 10-15 minutes

Cut into disks and serve with some good red wine and veggies

Huntndogs said:
Hell ya! I need some wild game meat in the freezer...

Speaking of freezers......I have a pretty nice upright that I'll trade for a 6 pack of Avian X gadwalls...... ;D

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu