I got two Sqeeks more to come

The Ruger American Predator Combo deal is perfect! I like the Crossfire II scopes for a hunting rig. I have.. um.. 4 of them on various rifles now. One on my AriRifle too.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Ground squirrels are a consider a pest.
Not good to eat, can and do carry disease. Fleas on these guys are bad news. If I was starving. Might eat some.
I keep the population down because
They get into everything and cause damage. Plus good practice on small varmit.

Reactions: MarceloF
Ground squirrels are a consider a pest.
Not good to eat, can and do carry disease. Fleas on these guys are bad news. If I was starving. Might eat some.
I keep the population down because
They get into everything and cause damage. Plus good practice on small varmit.
Thanks for clarifying it!

Some people do eat them. However in SoCal they are one of the major vectors for bubonic plague. So... although if you were careful I'm sure you could take 'em home and process them and cook them and enjoy them without issue. Since there is the chance of a flea on them jumping off and managing to bite you and pass along the bubonic plague. I dunno... just seems not worth the potential risk. Plus I have to figure predators come around and clean them up afterward so it could potentially get predators used to patrolling thru those areas I'd have to imagine.

Reactions: MarceloF
Some people do eat them. However in SoCal they are one of the major vectors for bubonic plague. So... although if you were careful I'm sure you could take 'em home and process them and cook them and enjoy them without issue. Since there is the chance of a flea on them jumping off and managing to bite you and pass along the bubonic plague. I dunno... just seems not worth the potential risk. Plus I have to figure predators come around and clean them up afterward so it could potentially get predators used to patrolling thru those areas I'd have to imagine.
Plus you never know if someone nearby is poisoning them.

And they're rats in a different uniform.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Larry, i'm not interested in munching on them at all. Leaving a snack for predators sounds like a better idea.
Longbow, thanks for posting more info about these squirrels...I won't feel too bad shooting them now, knowing about how they can transmit diseases.

Is there a link to this regulations
I don't know the regs on all the various species. I do know the little Mojave ground squirrel and the San Joaquin Antelope ground squirrel are protected species. In SD and Imperial Counties the little ones are probably Round Tail ground squirrels, which are OK to shoot, but don't rely on me. If you want to hunt them, better do some homework. I'm gonna stick with the big ugly Cal ground squirrels I know I can blast with impunity.

And those aren't very big/fat squeeks either! I sure wouldn't want to try shooting them much farther than that 65yd shot though. It's a beyotch trying to hit little things with a 22LR out like at 80yds or so. That's when drop starts getting bad for a 22LR. Most of my shot opportunities for Rabbits were at like 80 for the place I go, so the frustration led me to switch over to the .17 HMR. Best decision EVER!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu