I got two Sqeeks more to come

There is nothing wrong with ether round each has its place. Bottom line
22lr is cheaper, less accurate. Great bfor 75 yards or under. If notice those Aussies were taking rabbits out to 100 yards.
The 17 HMR is a flatter round but more expensive. I wouldn't mine owning both. But I am happy with 223.
This can be debated & debated.
Who cares. Just be happy. I am
I bought a bucket of ammo, I can plunk all day , all is good all have there place.
Same as 22-250, 243 an on.
This is not about what is better.
It's enjoying a sport. And using what you got.
I enjoy stretching the limits of capabilities of any rounds.
Just have fun. Keep the sport alive.
Here is a nice link to a review.
https://www.mcarbo.com/17-HMR-vs-22LR

You want to have some fun and a challenge. Buy a heavy duty tiny spinning targets and set it up at 50 yards and at 100 yards and try to hit
The little spinners . Aim small .
Now that's a challenge. And helps
Hitting small targets like squirrels.
It's a blast. That squash I had as a Target. My 22lr blew it up into pieces.
Fun stuff. Have fun. Enjoy it while we can.

I practice with limes from my lime tree with my .22 AirRifle at 20yds. And I'll pick the ones I'm using as target on the earlier side so they're still smaller, like not much more than 1-inch spheres. I'll use a sharpie and draw a small dot on them and try to hit that dot.

Also... I did the math one time, and hitting a sparrow at 20yds... visually... is the same at hitting a deer at 200 yds... in terms of what your eyes will see. How big the target will look within your scope.

So head-shotting sparrows makes for extremely good practice.

And yes, I made sure to take pics, just in case anybody ever called BS on that claim.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Took 2 more todayIMG_20190219_134147.jpg
Had little break from the weather.
Still hunted these two Sqeeks. about 50 yard shot or a little further. Second one had to hit 3 times. Try to crawl away.
Tough little B______ts. LoL

Last edited:
Reactions: Lungpopper
22lr HP knocks the cr__ out them.
I picked up a couple of 50 round boxes copper. $7 ea. Yikes. At Walmart. Sales guy said they may quit selling after July @###@###.

"That darn good shot 80 yards with
Such a small Target. "

Yeah, my brother is a dead-eye with that 30 year old stock 10/22. Worst trigger I ever felt, but until I can out shoot him, he can't find a reason to upgrade:confused:

Reactions: longbowhunter2
"That darn good shot 80 yards with
Such a small Target. "

Yeah, my brother is a dead-eye with that 30 year old stock 10/22. Worst trigger I ever felt, but until I can out shoot him, he can't find a reason to upgrade:confused:
My little 22 has a 2 stage trigger it helps. My issue is I pull a little vto the right. So I got two target spinners, I practice at 50 yards.
I like those because it instantly tells
Me if I hit it. Lots of fun
Shooting 22 doesn't break the bank.
223 although also cheap to shoot
I can go through 500 rounds rather quickly. Lol.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu