I want to begin Reloading. Which is a Good Kit to buy?

What about case trimming tool though? Don't you need to have that one as well? That's the impression I got from what I researched. Because from multiple times of reforming the brass it stretches out a little bit each time, apparently.

ah yes, havent got that far yet. I was given a bag of a 1000 223 and 1000 40 cal brass that was all cleaned, sized, and trimmed. Still working on those bags. Im pretty sure the kit gave me a hand held trimmer and a drill adapter for the case holder. I think that is the standard basic trimmer you get in a lot of these kits.

Trimming isn't always required every time you reload the case. some of my spent brass is still within spec.

Last edited:
trimming is not required if its still in spec. Some cartridges and loads grow more than others. Some never need to be trimmed.

Reactions: TheGDog
It seemed like that Lock-N-Load concept from Hornady would cut-down on needing to waste a bullet for pressing one in just to check OAL and seating depth. RE: Adjusting how far down the dies press it in. Sorta set-it and forget-it. And it appears that's also part of the idea with the Turret presses, Yes?

Seems like the other systems that do that, you buy a turret... get it loaded up with the dies for that caliber, get the depths adjusted right, then leave it alone and buy another turret for each caliber so you don't have to fuss with it again and again, correct?

Reactions: Bronkorob
It seemed like that Lock-N-Load concept from Hornady would cut-down on needing to waste a bullet for pressing one in just to check OAL and seating depth. RE: Adjusting how far down the dies press it in. Sorta set-it and forget-it. And it appears that's also part of the idea with the Turret presses, Yes?

Seems like the other systems that do that, you buy a turret... get it loaded up with the dies for that caliber, get the depths adjusted right, then leave it alone and buy another turret for each caliber so you don't have to fuss with it again and again, correct?

You can set it and forget it if you want. But even within the same caliber, different loads will have different bullet depths with different overall lengths. So you still may have to tweek each time you load.

Meh... not going to be able to get a full Reloading Press setup just yet. (Dayum Taxes hurt me... BAD!)

So for now, gonna try to get my feet wet with the Lee Hand Press kit. I figure get used to the process with .380acp .357/.38 and now this .44 Mag I got. Then after the sting of these Taxes dies back down, loop back around to getting a proper press and the other tools.

Can you gentleman direct me to some good online resources for load recipes? Or recommend a good manual to start with?

Specifically ones that would help w/ info on Lead-Free loads. Thanx

Oh... also... any recommendations for the order in which I'll need to acquire the other tools?

And tips for who makes decent ones that aren't too spendy?

For instance like a Micrometer, Cartridge OAL guide, scale, etc.

Um... I have an UltraSonic cleaner, what's a good cleaning agent product to use on the cases? Is cleaning with an UltraSonic good enough? Or do you have to do a Tumbler?

I think most of the bullet manufacturers have load data online. Or order one of the big data books. Even the reloading magazine has a lot of good data. I've seen the magazine at Walmart before. I have noticed load characteristics for copper vs lead rounds is significantly different and should not be used interchangeably.

Best bet might be to find what lead free bullet you want to load and check out that mfg website for load data.

For your caliper get one from harbor freight. Yup i said it :) its as good as the expensive ones and only 14 bucks

Last edited:
Yeah I was spending a bit of quality time on their site the other night actually. Because I needed to decide which powders to order. So went with W231 for the .380acp's and the their searching tool also stated the H110 should work for a 225 grain projectile (I will use the Barnes XPB) for the .44 Mag and it looked like they also include this same powder among the choices for the .357 Mag. So I figure with those two I should *should* have my pistols covered.

It did look like when it's time to begin trying rifle cartridges (logically I'll start with .223's and work my way up from there) I'd have to make a different powder selection when that time comes. I'm cool for now. Want to feel confident in these cartridges I'm beginning with, before I bother moving up the food chain.

For your micrometer get one from harbor freight. Yup i said it :) its as good as the expensive ones and only 14 bucks
I already have a caliper from HF. Though need to get a new battery for it.

I'll probably need to get a tumbler and then a powder trickler as my next purchases. The trickler not crucial right now though. I'll just take it slow with the scoops and a scale. Found a vid on YouTube where I guy went thru the full process with this same Lee Hand Press. So that was uber awesome to find, and helped visualize the process a lot better than just reading the material provided.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu