Idaho Archery OTC Elk Trip

180ls1

Nov 2, 2020
Poway
I was one of the fortunate few to get an over the counter Idaho elk tag for this year (cant believe I'm saying that). Redemption is on my mind after my arrow intercepted a stick on its path to a bull on the only shot I had last year. We are leaving Friday and will stay for a week. I'll try and keep you posted but cell service isn't always the best. Cheers!

- Adam

Zero bugles so far. Seen about 5 bulls and 5 cows between our group. It’s still warm, 10* warmer than this time last year. Tough hunt so far.

Stay the course..tow the line..push forward...never waiver..and FINISH!

Reactions: 180ls1
Back home now.

This was probably the toughest elk hunt I've been on. The heat had everything quiet and we were only able to locate 1 bull who would talk. We tried everything from the low country 6500' to 9500' where the sheep are. Even in the way back where the horse and lama guys were. We talked to quite a few of them and they were struggling as well. Early rifle guys are going to smash this year I have a feeling.

The morning of day 8 I had finally located a great 6x6 working down the same drainage I was coming up (he wasn't vocal). He is the biggest I have seen there on public in 4 years of hunting. I grab my bow only to realize I had an equipment failure and somewhere within the last 2 miles of hiking my quiver fell/ripped off :sob: . I could only sit there and watch him move along knowing that was it for me.

Tough ending and a tough hunt but it was beautiful there and I only regret not getting a 2 piece quiver lol.2AA636CE-687C-4E74-B67B-81614ED2B8CA.jpeg

Happens dude...ISHI wore his quiver on his back..theres always next year..The boys are gun hunting Large girl elk here in AZ in couple weeks...hope they invite me..

Reactions: DoubleTrouble
Happens dude...ISHI wore his quiver on his back..theres always next year..The boys are gun hunting Large girl elk here in AZ in couple weeks...hope they invite me..
Yeah, I rock my bow on my back also with the Kuiu quick release which is killer for freeing up your hands but it got me this time.

Hope you guys get out and smash em! Post up the report!

.25099BBA-36E3-414A-8533-D5ED4468F62C.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Will do.. guaranteed we see more bulls than cows...happens every year...have to shoot over the big 6 by 6 to get mama...HA! Elk hunting is cool.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu