I'm on the board!

I thought the meat was very similar to turkey drumsticks, a little on the dark/tough side. Definitely benefits from longer cooking methods

Reactions: TheGDog
Last edited:
Reactions: YETI and Wildgame
Right on nice work G dog! Hope to see one before the deadline. I hear you can prepare them like mountain lion which is usually prepared similar to pork from what I read. Report back! I'm curious on what you end up doing with it.

Hrmm... for Pork Loins I usually like to put Cardamom and Crushed Mint (and a small bit of Knorr Chicken Boullion) into the Olive Oil. I use these little Soy Sauce dishes Mama got. Their diameter is about the size of a 12oz Coke can. I pour about... maybe 3/8" ? of Oil into it... then add the other ingredients. I like the mixture to be slightly on the thicker side so that when I brush it on with silicone BBQ brushes the leaves help hold the mixture from running down the meat... then I quickly dust the surface with Lawry's Seasoned Salt. Seems to help keep the brush on from running off. Then broil on Lo between 8-11 minutes per side depending on how thick it is. And put the oven rack all the way down to bottom of oven so side facing upward toward broiler burner doesn't burn on edges too rapidly. Set the timer first for 8 min per side... then inspect and add additional time as needed. If you have thicker sliced pieces, it's a good idea to pull one and cut it to spot check and ensure the pink is just barely gone from the middle.

For sure.. I'm just shocked to see one without calling it in! Although... in that area in the past I've seen them at distance. The Year I got my first deer, 2015... on the night I got that deer...sundowns approaching... I turn to look-out over this larger meadow in the area... FML... I see either a pregnant, or just ate something hugely belly-filling Bobcat! I hadn't seen a damn thing all that day up til that point. So that sighting got me all P.O'd and I got to thinking darn it she's probably why I haven't seen anything all day! They probably seen or smelled her around and bounced outta there. Brooding over thoughts of just packing it in and going home, since there was that weekend, then only 1 more... I convinced myself that I need to see this thru... to put in the maximum effort... to stay until end of legal shooting light.

So...grumbling to myself... I stay. Maybe 10 minutes later I'm feeling it again and I'm like "Pssh.. man.. screw this... I'm outta here." So as I grab the Tripod stool... when I go to "rip" the Velcro strap to wrap it around to close it up... I heard a game sound emanate from over on the other side of some stones I was sitting upon. I quickly turned and leaned to look over that other direction... I see this body and booty... sticking out from behind a tree. Up until that point I'd never seen a buck in person before... but I just knew from noticing how much meatier it looked compared to all the Does I'd seen, that it had to be a buck! So total Ninja... I leaned WAY forward (over my pack and all the junk at my feet) at like 45 degree angle to reach and silently wrap my arm around and under my rifle which was rested up above upon a stone that came to a little below shoulder height.

I put the crosshairs on the tree trunk at about where I thought the shoulder line should emerge... and I wait.. and I wait... and I wait some more. Musta been like 45 seconds he held still!

Then? ... ker-click, ker-click... he takes two steps forward. That's it. Now? I see his head and neck... that's it. And he's staring right at me!

Being my first time... I'm sitting their nervously deliberating if I should just try to pop his head, or maybe his neck? The WHOLE TIME... he was looking Dead at me! (Just 40 yds away) Ultimately I convince myself I should wait until he finally moves and shows his broadside, so I don't risk something like him moving and I blow his jaw off. Figure this is my first time. Better to make it a less risky shot. This time I'm having to wait even longer! Damn... musta been a full 60 seconds he stood there... staring right at me! I'm even having to worriedly tell myself to calm down and breathe more shallow and slower so he doesn't end up seeing my chest moving and spook.

Eventually... an eternity later... he relaxes his eyes and starts to rotate his head back down and forward and simultaneously begins to walk forward. the moment I see that I'm instantly moving the crosshairs down and over from his neck to the lung area, and not wanting to blow this chance in the not so large opening between the two trees, I quickly squeezed it off knowing it was for sure in the general area, though it should have been a bit lower and slightly more forward optimally.

One of a few memories in my mind I'll never forget!

Nice, I can’t wait to have the memory of my first deer to share on here. So far it’s been a couple birds. Only time I’ve ever seen a cat in So Cal is was darting across the road in front of my car on Hwy 79 and Anza Rd. I’ve seen tons of tracks here but those things are pretty good at staying out of sight. I was able to snap a pic of a cat in North Central Washington when I was following some Elk (just because I had nothing better to do at the time). He was following me from above just watching what I was doing. Seemed really curious .

Attachments

• B391E02A-B4E4-420D-9074-975D4C3E076C.jpeg
    B391E02A-B4E4-420D-9074-975D4C3E076C.jpeg
    400.3 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Had one creep up to maybe 25ft to my left one time while hunting in D11. I was sitting on a cliff over-looking a trail. Lots of buckthorn behind me so figure he was probably just hunting along the cliff edge. Every 3-5 minutes or so I'd slowly check behind me. I check that last time and WHOA!! Startled me soo bad, cause I didn't hear anything. At first my brain thought MtnLion for a split second so boy did my adrenalin shoot up!

Last edited:
Reactions: oscar and dirtriddr
Atta boy Larry, any plans to eat bob?

OMG... the vicera is a P.I.T.A to get off of this thing! Anybody with some experience with this animal know if there's a trick to helping make getting off the clear viscera sheathing easier? The viscera (and presumbly the blood also) has a kinda bad smell to it. Not as strong as coyote, but definitely something that might make an inexperienced first-timer consider chucking the whole thing if they didn't know about how it's the viscera and the blood that usually have the odor.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu