Im soo confused about deer zones and drawings

U

uplandfam

I have been hunting for some time but never deer. My wife wants to hunt deer this year. I started out in los padres i know the area very well so i have started all my kids and friends in los padres D13? I also travel out to many other locations and i know los padres is not the best place but its close and easy to get to and i know the area very very well the front country and the back country so i think i should start my first deer season in it. IS it unrestricted? Will i be able to just buy a tag or is it drawing only? I dont hunt with a bow so i need general rifle season.

any help? ive been looking over the "new" ::) dfg web site but its not easy atleast for me to figure out

thanks all

Las padres is a big forest in different zones. Just find where you wanna hunt then look on the california deer zones map and get the tag

its D13 im sure but i wanted to make sure with all this points stuff and what not ive been hearing about it was that easy to just go get the tag.

thanks

Yes the D13 tag is an over the counter tag.
But if you want to be able to hunt some of the better areas of Cal you should put in for(first choice) point only then (second choice) D13 you wont have a problem drawing the D13 tag.
Start building your points so you can put in for some of the better areas later. Like X9a for example takes @ 3 points to draw.
Some areas take more some take less but you will have more opportunity later with the points.

That's what I don't understand the point system. Does any one have a link to a good point explanation? Maybe I'm stupid but I can't seam to find it in the dfg web site.

I don't think it will have the point system explanation, however the website will have a downloadable PDF file if this years hunting regulations. When you look at the regs go to the deer tags area and it will have an explanation for each tag/zone, it can get confusing at times so always refer back to it when selecting a tag/ zone. For example Angeles National forest is (D11 General season over the counter tag) but it's also (A31 archery buck or doe "draw only" tag). But like I said each tag/zone will have a short description if it's draw only, season dates, and location. Just as a quick reference, all "X" zones are draw only. And all "D","C" and "B"zones with the exception of D17 I believe are over the counter zones.

Sent from my iPhone

thanks so cal hunter.

so how many points do you start out with or how do you gain points?
What is closest to LA to apply for for my first pick just incase im blessed and draw the permium, and make d13 my second so i can get that no problem?

You are right it is very confusing, especially for those of us (me) who'd like options for both rifle and bow in San Diego. You might stop by your nearest DFW office. They know what a cluster it is and they can help you based on the preferences you mentioned. Points are not by zone; they are by species. Check the recent thread "help with strategy" and substitute your local zones in MJB's response.

Sent via Tapatalk

You start out with zero points. Each year you apply for a premium zone/draw only zone and do Not get it, that allow you to earn 1 point to use for the next year. When you finally do draw a premium tag you will lose all points and and start the process all over again. The dfg website will have a California deer zone map. It breaks up the state into hunt zones. Once you pull it up you can look at which x zone will be closest to you. Before you choose a zone to apply read that description because it will say if it had good public access or limited access to to military or private property. Good luck man and PM me if you need help choosing a zone for the year. I believe by June 1st is the application deadline. Like Bonjour said the info I'm giving you is for "deer" only. But works generally the same for different species.

Sent from my iPhone

thanks all,
since this is our first year and its really the wifes idea to hunt deer (im ok with upland coyotes and pigs) we will see how she does with all the walking stalking and sitting. Im going to just get a couple otc for d13 for this year and see how it goes. If it goes well and we like it ill start the points thing next year.

Well if you do that,I think dfg still allows you to buy one point for $10. Only one point each can be purchased. Check on that though if I'm wrong hopefully someone will correct me. Haha

Sent from my iPhone

SoCalHunter27 said:
Well if you do that,I think dfg still allows you to buy one point for $10. Only one point each can be purchased. Check on that though if I'm wrong hopefully someone will correct me. Haha

Sent from my iPhone
Thanks for all the helpful clarifications Socalhunter. Everyone I've talked to says its a good idea to get points whenever you can, assuming you plan to hunt again in the future. However, they are not transferable so it may be a good investment for you and possibly your kids but maybe not your wife if she is not sure she'll like it.
The code for points for deer is PD (points deer)

Sent via Tapatalk

thanks every body I spent summers as a teenage working a ranch outside Cody Wyoming and all i saw was big game all summer long. So now days in southern California im very un impressed with the deer so this so cal deer thing is not for me but my wife. We will see but thanks to all of you i have a much better understanding and its not as daunting as i feared. we will hunt d13 and maybe the back side of d11 and see how it goes this year.

I do however have 3 kids this is my oldest 2nd season and my other 2 will be hunting dove opener this year so i do need to think of them.

D-13 is the toughest zone I've hunted with the least amount of deer, so don't be surprised if you don't get a chance at getting a deer without putting lots and lots of time into it. I've killed a few deer out of there but i also used to hunt it 3-4 days of the week. And scout weeks before it opened. But there is nice bucks, my uncle has killed a few 22-25 inchers out of the zone but that was like 20 years ago. Goodluck!

Thanks buddy. It's te area I know best an I can scout it easiest.

I was also really confused on the point system, first and second choices, zones...I'm from Alabama where you buy a license and can hunt anywhere and are allowed 1-2 deer per day per person. I stopped by Fine Firearms and they cleared it all up for me. If I get my 1st or 2nd choice tag for G3 or G39 I will start researching and scouting the area and checking SCH for info. If I don't draw a G zone, I'll be grinding out the season in D16. I just want to thank y'all for the info on this site and the help for us "SoCal newbies". Between SCH, Fine Firearms, and the Bow and Arrow Shop, I'm starting to feel at home in SoCal.

Affirmative 8Steeltown. All of the knowledgable D16 hunters I have talked to feel that there will be tags available after the draw if I don't get one. I am hoping that is the case. If anyone else has an opinion I would love to hear it! Worse case scenario, I'll be in the woods with a camera!

BamaDJ said:
Affirmative 8Steeltown. All of the knowledgable D16 hunters I have talked to feel that there will be tags available after the draw if I don't get one. I am hoping that is the case. If anyone else has an opinion I would love to hear it! Worse case scenario, I'll be in the woods with a camera!
What you really need is a clear idea of how, what and where you want to hunt. Every decision narrows your subsequent options. It sucks.

Sent via Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu