Indicators that birds are migrating to So Cal?

Dave3006

Nov 26, 2019
In the past, I was told to watch the weather for Salt Lake City as an indicator birds might be migrating down to S California. I had a couple questions for the experts:

1. How cold does it have to get to make the birds migrate? Does it have to snow to get them to move?

2. Are there other areas to keep an eye on?

3. What role does a full moon play?

4. How long does it take birds from SLC to arrive?

5. Do you think the low water situation in N CA will be good for us in S CA this year?

Thanks.

Dave,

The migration here in SoCal seems to be pretty constant....

1....It does help when Salt Lake area freezes, but many of our ducks don't come from there...Oregon and Nevada are important to us as well...So, freezing in those areas and further north are important too.

2....As mentioned above, freezing temps on bodies of water up north make birds move, if there's no big open water or spring creeks...Our gadwalls mostly come from Oregon and Nevada per band returns.

3....Moon phases are very important...The birds like to migrate on full moons and northerly winds...The next full moon (Nov 19)...There should be a major push of snows and far north ducks during that time (widgeon, spoons, GW).

4....Ducks and geese make it from SLC in one night...We are around 700 miles SLC valley...Averaging 40-60 MPH, they make the flight in about 10-12 hours...Honkers may fly a little faster...Historically, they get here from SLC around Thanksgiving.

5...Low water may help some, but it the condition probably has to be more long term... Ducks (& geese) will change locations as food and water changes...I know in the early 70's, Wister and the IV were loaded with honkers (more than snows)...Then as the snow population boomed, honkers left...Oceanside had 1000's of birds and fed in local wheat fields...Then, it was Lake Henshaw (early 80's)...Which at the time, was growing alfalfa and potato's on the VID lands surrounding the lake...Then it was the Colorado River and especially the Cibola area...Now, they seem very dispersed thru out SoCal and mostly in unhuntable (golf courses, lakes, city parks, etc.)

Pix from the early 70's & early 80's...Wister (limit 1), O'side (limit 2), and Henshaw (limit 2)

.wister B area 1972.jpgO'Side honkers 1978.jpgIMG_20160111_0001.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think there is a set temp. which will signal migrations , rather a change in season, bringing on shorter days, and cooler temps. Both of which contribute to food shortage. I think it is mainly just a built in instinct which sets off migration. but what do I know, I'm not a ducker.

Dave,

The migration here in SoCal seems to be pretty constant....

1....It does help when Salt Lake area freezes, but many of our ducks don't come from there...Oregon and Nevada are important to us as well...So, freezing in those areas and further north are important as well.

2....As mentioned above, freezing temps on bodies of water up north make birds move, if there's no big open water or spring creeks...Our gadwalls mostly come from Oregon and Nevada per band returns.

3....Moon phases are very important...The birds like to migrate on full moons and northerly winds...The next full moon (Nov 19)...There should be a major push of snows and far north ducks during that time (widgeon, spoons, GW).

4....Ducks and geese make it from SLC in one night...We are around 700 miles SLC valley...Averaging 40-60 MPH, they make the flight in about 10-12 hours...Honkers may fly a little faster...Historically, they get here from SLC around Thanksgiving.

5...Low water may help some, but it the condition probably has to be more long term... Ducks (& geese) will change locations as food and water changes...I know in the early 70's, Wister and the IV were loaded with honkers (more than snows)...Then as the snow population boomed, honkers left...Oceanside had 1000's of birds and fed in local wheat fields...Then, it was Lake Henshaw (early 80's)...Which at the time, was growing alfalfa and potato's on the VID lands surrounding the lake...Then it was the Colorado River and especially the Cibola area...Now, they seem very dispersed thru out SoCal and mostly in unhuntable (golf courses, lakes, city parks, etc.)

Pix from the early 70's & early 80's...Wister (limit 1), O'side (limit 2), and Henshaw (limit 2)

.View attachment 51836View attachment 51837View attachment 51838
Now he's a ducker. Or a gooser, in this case

Some birds migrate by the calendar
Some birds migrate by the weather

My buddies North End Salton Sea club has more GWTs than they have ever seen this early.

I took the boat out in LA/LB Harbor this afternoon and it is loaded with Sea Ducks which I usually don't see until Thanksgiving

Something is different this year

The water situation in Northern California is not an issue anymore. Per contacts in the area there is water everywhere now.

We usually start our guided trips in Nor Cal around the first of December, thats typically about the time we start seeing the geese hit the dry fields

The geese are in the dry already, big time which I have never seen this early

Something is definitely different this year

We usually start our guided trips in Nor Cal around the first of December, thats typically about the time we start seeing the geese hit the dry fields

The geese are in the dry already, big time which I have never seen this early

Something is definitely different
great I am heading up there in January for a 3 day goose hunt. The last couple seasons it's been the later the better. Hope the birds are still there. Wish the birds would let me know what their migration plan is each year it would make my life a lot easier,

great I am heading up there in January for a 3 day goose hunt. The last couple seasons it's been the later the better. Hope the birds are still there. Wish the birds would let me know what their migration plan is each year it would make my life a lot easier,

Once the geese show up they really dont leave Nor Cal. They will move out of the Willows area and slide down to the Delta but pretty much are near by.

The biggest factor is the weather, if we're killing mosquitoes its tough to kill geese. We had great hunts from early December until the last day of the season, sure there were some tough hunts in between

The goose hatch seems to have been pretty good and I believe this will be one of our better years especially with the lack of decomp water

Once the geese show up they really dont leave Nor Cal. They will move out of the Willows area and slide down to the Delta but pretty much are near by.

The biggest factor is the weather, if we're killing mosquitoes its tough to kill geese. We had great hunts from early December until the last day of the season, sure there were some tough hunts in between

The goose hatch seems to have been pretty good and I believe this will be one of our better years especially with the lack of decomp water
Man I hope so my last two trips up there have been pretty dismal. 3 days of stacking snows and specs would be great.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Man I hope so my last two trips up there have been pretty dismal. 3 days of stacking snows and specs would be great.
Now that I have hunted up there the last 10 years or so I would say the average day is 3 to 5 geese a gun. These numbers are so easily changed by numerous things, weather, moon and the hunters ability to shoot

I cant sugar coat this but some clients just cant shoot and thats ok. they days when we have good shooters the birds seem to be tough those days to decoys. I had a group of 4 guys last year and it was a slow flight day, 22 birds came in and they killed 20. I had another day where 8 guys shot 5 CASES for 80 or so birds

Its hunting

Now that I have hunted up there the last 10 years or so I would say the average day is 3 to 5 geese a gun. These numbers are so easily changed by numerous things, weather, moon and the hunters ability to shoot

I cant sugar coat this but some clients just cant shoot and thats ok. they days when we have good shooters the birds seem to be tough those days to decoys. I had a group of 4 guys last year and it was a slow flight day, 22 birds came in and they killed 20. I had another day where 8 guys shot 5 CASES for 80 or so birds

Its hunting
in my last two trips 3 hunt days I maybe shot a box of shells but not likely. It hasn't been the guides fault like you said its hunting.

I agree something is off this year. @KID CREOLE

backbay in newport is full of migratory birds. Pinners and cotton tops all over the place, That is not normal. I am rushing to get the salad shooters trailer ready to go. i need to get my ass down and see if the birds are there

A friend has a boat at long beach harbor , He texted me , he said 300 or so Canada,s flew into the area landing in the grassy areas . He said they are early .

La Nina. Big weather up north this year and nothing here, I think that wild animal's have better sense than we do about the upcoming weather winter wise than we do. They are coming down by being pushed out up north from the early storms and upcoming predicted wet cold winter in the northwest.

for you folks wondering if the birds are down... They are :)

that is all

• Haha
Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu