Interesting article in Time Mag

Suburban Adventuress said:
We also definitely have a HUGE yote problem. One killed our mostly indoor cat one morning in our fenced-in yard b/c we left the door open a crack to let our old dog go out at 5:30am, and after that I seemed to hear that they have no problem jumping over fences and grabbing pets in their mouth like take-away. :'(

In 2005, my brother woke me up on a Sunday morning and said "there's a coyote in the back yard, come and shoot it with your bow". We live in the middle of the city, but the yotes used to cruise the hill that connects all the back yards. Apparently, a german shepherd chased this thing to our yard (as if it was a female in heat), and to get away from it, the coyote climbed (not jumped, but climbed) the chain link fence at the top of the hill into the yard of the house behind us. It sat there on the other side of the fence until the dog left, then climbed back over the fence and sat there until I fired an arrow at it (missed).

Maybe when they legalize hunting inside the city limits they will allow it in my neighborhood. And while they're at it, maybe they'll legalize suppressors, too!

NBK said:
Invisible man said:
We will never have an extreme over population in SoCal.

I beg to differ sir. We have a cougar problem right now but it has not been addressed. In fact, San Diego County has more cougars per square mile than any place in the country.

Just saying...
the article is referring to problems due to too many animals. Damage to personal property, Car accidents, garden and crop damage. The mountain lion is responsible for none of that.Other then an occational goat or calf, then they track it and kill it the next day. I don't see the problem. I spend a lot of time in the mountains countless hours and have only laid eyes on one once in my whole life. When ever you hear of a sighting on the news it turns out to be a bobcat.I personally don't have any use for them because they kill the deer that I want to kill. I don't like the competition. Other then that,I think they do a pretty good job at staying out of the way. If you go talk to people who live in our local mountains they will say the lions are rarely seen, and they will say we have a turkey problem. So what exactly is the cougar problem?

Bonejour said:
Seriously, though. Big problem. Lions everywhere up in Laguna. There were a ton of fresh tracks Sunday am and a hunter I ran into was really spooked about it; kept checking his six.

Sent via Tapatalk
Seen tracks! Big Problem!!! ;D I challenge you to take a picture of one where you hunt. Im not defending the mangy lions im only defending my statement that we don't have an extreme population problem.

Invisible man said:
Bonejour said:
Seriously, though. Big problem. Lions everywhere up in Laguna. There were a ton of fresh tracks Sunday am and a hunter I ran into was really spooked about it; kept checking his six.

Sent via Tapatalk
Seen tracks! Big Problem!!! ;D I challenge you to take a picture of one where you hunt. Im not defending the mangy lions im only defending my statement that we don't have an extreme population problem.

Fair enough IM, but if I see one I'm not promising you I'll take a picture of it ;D

Sent via Tapatalk

Bonejour said:
Invisible man said:
Bonejour said:

Sent via Tapatalk

Fair enough IM, but if I see one I'm not promising you I'll take a picture of it ;D

Sent via Tapatalk
I agree. That would be the last thing on my mind too.

well let just say I seen the casualties. dead carcass remains, plus I have seen mountain lion just about every year, can I photograph one probably not I will give it a try. I am terrible at photographing stuff. and they are fast. I saw one 2 years ago that was huge. it was trailing us because it thought we were turkeys. maybe we are turkeys. but no we trying to call turkeys in, soon as it realized we were humans. it bailed.
I saw one in the beginning of this year walking 50 feet from us. it was foggy & cold so it must of not got our scent.

once upon a time when I use to hunt on a private property, the owner ask me to shoot any mountain lion & she would pay the fine.
basically she raised cattle & horses. so there must of been lion kills on her ranch. and this was 35 years ago.
I believe the lion is more responsible for the lower deer herds than the coyotes.

I just remembered this, my wife & I stopped at the dinner at the cuyamaca lake to eat dinner. after dinner when we hit the road a young lion stepped out of the culvert not more than a hundred yards from the diner. my wife was my witness. ;D I comment about it because of all the hikers in the area.

I see a lot of fresh tracks, but have only seen a lion twice in the 20 years I've been hunting San Diego. Last year walking out of the Lagunas at night I encountered one. After standing my ground and even walking a little towards it with a stick and yelling at it , this Lion would not budge. He stood there 50 yards from me just staring. I finally backed off and took a short cut through the brush to the highway. Since then I carry a "noise maker" in my side pocket. I'd rather face the consequences for carrying the "noise maker" than to not have it One of these times. Your chances are probably better at winning the lotto before being mauled by a lion , but I Will play it safe. Just my opinion

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    906.1 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    906.1 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    745.6 KB · Views: 7
Best I can do is my fixed blade hunting knife, but I don't go into the woods without it. If I do see a lion, there's a good chance it won't mind being seen. With that in mind, I won't consider myself particularly lucky and I don't think my camera will be the thing I'll reach for first. Just sayin' ...

Sent via Tapatalk

Agree with IM that lions aren't a "problem" for us, at least not yet. I've seen tracks like those in dry sand while hiking, but those wet tracks are awesome! Mine didn't photograph so well. Would love to see one in the wild, but not with my kids with me.

The worst part about the yotes is them not fearing us. They will look you dead in the eye with a stink eye! At least they have me.

I once saw a coyote fur vest at the mall, which was a lot more beautiful than it sounds. I kept reading the tag, Exterior: Coyote fur. Some friend of mine (non-hunter, of course, but a meat-eater all the same) shamed me out of buying it, but the more time that passes, the more I regret passing it up! In my dreams I get good enough to hunt them and then make my own vest. Now that's funny!

In my dreams I get good enough to hunt them and then make my own vest. Now that's funny!

Not that funny S A. Everyone here started the outdoor life style with a crazy dream. Follow it. I bet it leads you down the road to adventure. My dream is to kill a 137" buck before 12/31/2013. ;)

I hunt/lure yotes with my Jagds. And the yotes in the city limits are tough sob. Even a single will take on a big dog your better with two dogs.

Now when I run two dogs out after I send a single dog to lure the yote will stand their ground until the dogs get close then some fight and some run. The fighters start sounding off and try to fend off two dogs but he goes down in a few after one of my dogs goes for the kill. Then I have to get there quick before the yotes nose is all gone.

Speed and quickness is the key with yotes plus it doesn't hurt to have bigger teeth than a yote for the death shake. But I would only lure yotes with a single dog no going for the kill too dangerous for the single dog.

Does anybody remember the bow hunter on Laguna that shot that lion and got all kinds of heat for it by fleet?
That's enough for me if the lion has no fear of man that must change and means we have a problem.

I did the spring pass on Tejon many years during the good ol days of Don's game management and I never saw a lion during that time. But since then it's not odd to glass one up at any spot on the ranch. In fact the last WPMH I saw 4 in two days. No wonder they changed their deer hunting policy.

And the real sad part is lion meat is great tasting had some on a NM elk hunt.

SSS

MJB said:
I hunt/lure yotes with my Jagds. And the yotes in the city limits are tough sob. Even a single will take on a big dog your better with two dogs.

Now when I run two dogs out after I send a single dog to lure the yote will stand their ground until the dogs get close then some fight and some run. The fighters start sounding off and try to fend off two dogs but he goes down in a few after one of my dogs goes for the kill. Then I have to get there quick before the yotes nose is all gone.

Speed and quickness is the key with yotes plus it doesn't hurt to have bigger teeth than a yote for the death shake. But I would only lure yotes with a single dog no going for the kill too dangerous for the single dog.

Does anybody remember the bow hunter on Laguna that shot that lion and got all kinds of heat for it by fleet?
That's enough for me if the lion has no fear of man that must change and means we have a problem.

I did the spring pass on Tejon many years during the good ol days of Don's game management and I never saw a lion during that time. But since then it's not odd to glass one up at any spot on the ranch. In fact the last WPMH I saw 4 in two days. No wonder they changed their deer hunting policy.

And the real sad part is lion meat is great tasting had some on a NM elk hunt.

SSS

Interesting post MJB...

Just some points.......a little scattered

I do want to do a lion hunt in AZ or NM in the future before I get too old to chase hounds.

Ahhhhh the "tail" (pun intended) of two states....this in WA http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/newshound/2013/09/wash-hunter-kills-2-mountain-lions-1-arrow
VS this is CA http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/showthread.php/390845-Lion-attack-In-Laguna-and-Cited?highlight=lion

We also definitely have a HUGE yote problem. One killed our mostly indoor cat one morning in our fenced-in yard b/c we left the door open a crack to let our old dog go out at 5:30am, and after that I seemed to hear that they have no problem jumping over fences and grabbing pets in their mouth like take-away. :'(

What area do u live

Invisible man said:
Bonejour said:

Sent via Tapatalk

Doug I only see them in fowl weather other wise I've have picts

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu