Interesting theory as to why sometimes they fall right there and sometimes they run

Hmmm... I'll take a heart shot, on or off the beat.
:)

Sent via Tapatalk

Ultimately a heart/lung shot is fatal. Doesn't matter if the animal runs 100 yards or 3 feet. Clocks don't operate when cogs and gears are missing or broken.

I tried to read this article, but it was sooooo long. It seems the new 'theory' boiled down to hydrostatic shock. Am I wrong? That's not really new.

I've seen arrows drop deer in their tracks and they weren't spined.

My theory is that some deer are tougher. Kinda like dudes. Some are just tougher than others. Some can take it, some can't. Deer that drop in their tracks are wimps. The one's that run a long distance after being shot are are the tough guys.

Hows that for an uneducated theory? ;D

Breacher said:

My theory is that some deer are tougher. Kinda like dudes. Some are just tougher than others. Some can take it, some can't. Deer that drop in their tracks are wimps. The one's that run a long distance after being shot are are the tough guys.

I LIKE IT

Breacher said:

I tend to agree.........I've only shot white-tail with a rifle and I know they're tough........I've been told they can carry more damage with bow or rifle than muleys and are tougher by guys that have killed many more than me......I'm sure some individual muleys can be tougher as well.

I can't say I've ever tested white tail toughness. When standing still, every white tail I ever shot has dropped in its tracks. But I've only used .30-06 or 7mm. Also I don't recall ever taking a shot where I wasn't sure I'd get a quick, humane kill on a deer. The hills of Pennsylvania and Virginia are a lot less rugged than out here, but the thickets can be impenetrable and properties are smaller so we don't want them going too far. The only one I ever saw take more than a step was already running. I hit him in the shoulder when his weight was on his front legs. I saw him stumble as the bullet broke his shoulder but he bounded 2-3 more times before toppling over and sliding down the hill.
These were all more or less broadside shots with heavy caliber lead ammo, all double lung and/or heart shots at less than 100 yards. I've never had a Muley in my sights so I have nothing to compare. Out here the hunting is much harder so a hunter is less likely to pass on a shot. That by itself will lead to more variation in shot placement. Add the greater range and all-copper ammo, and you have even more variables to test an animal's toughness.

Sent via Tapatalk

Here is the theory...nutshelled. Hydrostatic shock through the circulatory system to the brain during a heartbeat.

result of a controlled study carried out by professional veterinarians engaged in a buffalo culling operation.

data gathered during the culling operation was taken from a number of animals. Even more important, the animals were then examined and dissected in a scientific manner by professionals.

Predictably, some of the buffalo dropped where they were shot and some didn't, even though all received near-identical hits in the vital heart-lung area. When the brains of all the buffalo were removed, the researchers discovered that those that had been knocked down instantly had suffered massive rupturing of blood vessels in the brain. The brains of animals that hadn't fallen instantly showed no such damage.

Their conclusion was that the bullets that killed instantly had struck just at the moment of the animal's heartbeat! The arteries to the brain, already carrying a full surge of blood pressure, received a mega-dose of additional pressure from the bullet's impact, thus creating a blood pressure overload and rupturing the vessels.

The problem is, it doesn't give much explanation for why the may or may not drop with an arrow. Perhaps the "wimp" theory is best. ;D

Not that i am humble but IMHO.....

Adrenaline is the missing part of the equation here. Animals that are freaked out and in panic mode tend to do some crazy stuff

Notice something in all this Long Range Hunting crud that is on TV now. A lot of the Animals are DRT. Even when they miss they hear the crack of the bullet as it breaks the sound barrier going past them but the do not freak out on the report of the gun. So how does a critter 600 yards away die in seconds when the same critter shot at 40 yards runs like he has a hot poker in his back side. Adrenaline You take animal at rest relaxed with no idea you are there and dissect his heart or lungs or in the case of a gun liquefy the heart or lungs and that animal dies most times most places pretty damn quick. You take that same shot on a critter that is just about to run off and knows something is up and you are in for Mr Toads wild ride more times than not.

The physics of a pressure wave traveling up to the brain causing instant death is BS... sorry but there is no science behind that at all.

So what do you do to cut down on run off's when a animal is crazy close and hyped up? Precision shooting is not always a Long Range adventure. Sometimes its putting it exactly where you want it at 100 yards. Alternative angles or shot placement at 100 yards is a real and viable tactic even if the BOOK says NEVER shoot anything but a quartering heart lung shot

Aeon said:

Adrenaline is the missing part of the equation here. Animals that are freaked out and in panic mode tend to do some crazy stuff
Yeah, that and Newton's First Law as applied to game: "A body in motion tends to stay in motion, a body at rest tends to stay at rest."
;)

Sent via Tapatalk

Bonejour said:
Aeon said:

Yeah, that and Newton's First Law as applied to game: "A body in motion tends to stay in motion, a body at rest tends to stay at rest."
;)

Sent via Tapatalk

I like this one................... ;D

It's fun to kick around, but I think the only rule is that there are no rules, at least not hard and fast ones. Even the adrenaline theory doesn't always work though I'm sure it's a big factor most of the time.

I know a guy who was shot in the leg with a .22 pistol while being robbed. He said he just dropped and couldn't move. It was almost like being paralyzed. I kind of think that it must be something more like striking a nerve or not just right when you get an instant drop or it runs off a bit. No way something like that or a bow could deliver much shock. The not getting up is from the fatal shot.

Gotta love a duck hunter that doesn't even own a big game rifle giving theories.............

Hey ducks are big game too.... and the 6mm is rated for dangerous game in Africa i think :)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu