Inyo Wolf

dhntr48

Oct 7, 2015
On a fishing trip in Inyo county along the Owens River by Lone Pine Calif . I saw a extremely large dog ,,what I believe must have been a wolf . I thought holy crap Look at the size of that dog , I watched it for a few minutes . Very big , and long fur and tale , no collar . I was glad it was 200 yards off as well , I have walked the fence line in the area where the wolf was moving , so it was helping me judge the size . I had a pistol with me with non lead ammo , so I stayed . I scouted around a bit later and found these tracks all around

Attachments

• 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    312.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    285.1 KB · Views: 54
The coyotes up there are extremely large and pretty heavy with their winter coat. I hunt and fish up there quite a bit. Seen some very large coyotes up there. Wolf print should be around 4 to 5.5 inches. I hope for all of us it was just a big yote.

The coyotes up there are extremely large and pretty heavy with their winter coat. I hunt and fish up there quite a bit. Seen some very large coyotes up there. Wolf print should be around 4 to 5.5 inches. I hope for all of us it was just a big yote.
Then again, you were there. None of us were. Man, I hope it was a yote.

This photo is off the internet, taken near Bishop. You’re right about the big coyotes!
CA8754E8-FC41-4CEF-B1C0-A73C5C470661.jpeg

Easy way to tell. OR 93 has a purple collar. If you see him, you will know. Look him up. You will see the pics of him with the collar. Last seen in the Fresno area.

John

I have been doing some research since my sighting . The animal I saw that day looked just like this wolf In this picture , not as much white in the fur , but the same brown color and body . I found these pictures online , and this best represents what I saw that day .

Attachments

• 062.JPG
    062.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 063.JPG
    063.JPG
    197 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: Dawnandusk
The pictures I posted states that that its a Alaskan wolf , I did find some pictures of gray wolfs the same color and black as well , but the pictures were not as good . I wondered are there brown wolves , It seems they come in various colors as well .

My foot print photo shows a 3 inch shell , I scaled it many times , looks big like 4 1/4 to 4 1/2 inch paw print . I hope its like you say just a big dog .

The wolf that was transplanted in the lower 48 is Canis lupus occidentalis Northern timber wolf. They come in all kinds of colors and are huge next to the wolf that lived here before we eradicated them . mud makes dog prints look big so hard to say. winter fur coyotes also look huge with their fur all fluffy for winter.....

Easy way to tell. OR 93 has a purple collar. If you see him, you will know. Look him up. You will see the pics of him with the collar. Last seen in the Fresno area.

John
Have they really been confirmed to of come that far South as Fresno Co?

On a fishing trip in Inyo county along the Owens River by Lone Pine Calif . I saw a extremely large dog ,,what I believe must have been a wolf . I thought holy crap Look at the size of that dog , I watched it for a few minutes . Very big , and long fur and tale , no collar . I was glad it was 200 yards off as well , I have walked the fence line in the area where the wolf was moving , so it was helping me judge the size . I had a pistol with me with non lead ammo , so I stayed . I scouted around a bit later and found these tracks all around
paw prints don't lie, I believe it, we are not suppose to have green Mojave's or side winders on my property but here they are.

Reactions: Smokey58
paw prints don't lie, I believe it, we are not suppose to have green Mojave's or side winders on my property but here they are.
Catch a mojave if you can and call me I would like to see that. I used to see them when I lived near Barstow but have a hard time believeing that thay have made the trip here, they are a high desert snake and there known range is not near us. I would be glad to come and visit if you get one, I know my rattlesnake species forward and back and would like to see if it is true. No disrepect intended as anything is possible.

Fred, I will post pictures next time but I generally blow their heads off. here is some pics off the internet to tell the difference. they look just like diamond backs except one id their scales are different at the head. sure you knew that all ready, but for the other folks, I live in high desert.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu