Is it possible to hunt big games using AR 15?

richard33

Oct 12, 2020
Tampa,FL
www.buildyourar15.us
Mostly big game hunters prefer centerfires like Ruger American Rifle, Winchester XPR renegade etc. Why AR 15 is not in big game hunting lists. Is there any Customization ideas out there for an AR 15 build to make it for big game hunting?

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Depends what you mean by big game hunting. I know guys in Texas and Hawaii that use em reliably with the .223 Hog Hammer ammo to put down pigs in thick brush, close action scenarios where quick follow up shots on angry hogs is helpful. But your typical short barrelled AR in 5.56/.223 isn't necessarily the best choice for putting distant shots effectively on deer, elk, etc. Maybe if you're stand hunting and are shooting 50 yards or less at a deer it'd work out, but not if you're trying to put a 150-300, 400 yard shot on a bull elk (or 650 yard shot with a .380 if you're Larry).

I have a ar in 6.8spc2 that I shot 95 grain ttsx at 2900 fps.. it is effective to about 450 yards before the bullet stops performing.. I mainly use it for coyotes but i would not hesitate to shoot a pig, deer or elk with it inside 350 yards. Just have to know the limitations of the bullet your using

Attachments

• 20200620_073341.jpg
    20200620_073341.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: longbowhunter2
One member posted about his daughters first deer, I think it was buckhunter. In one of the pictures she is shown holding a AR style rifle. I don't remember if the cal. Was mentioned. So yes u can use one for big game. Just know it's limitation. Personally, I wouldn't.

It's not the style of rifle that counts it is the caliber and your shooting skill, one can buy an AR style rifle in any caliber.

Absolutely! I use my AR in 6.5 Grendel with a Barnes 120TTSX bullet for deer, hogs and antelope.
Like what was said above, it's not the style of rifle, it's the bullet you use.

Reactions: YETI

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu