Is Scent Lok really worth it?

Herson

Jun 10, 2020
I've been looking at getting some ScentLok hunting pants and shirt for my spot and stalk bear hunt. Do you guys think it's worth it? Last time I went out scouting the forest I was walking down a road when I saw a bear running from me about 400 yards away... made me think if it was my scent ( I had treated my clothes with a scent killer) or sound it picked up? let me know what y'all think.

You are not going to fool the nose on a bear or any other large mammal no matter what you are wearing. You must play the wind. Some people make an argument for scent blocking products, saying that they may give them and extra second or two to make a shot if the animal is confused by the scent. In my opinion it’s all just a mental crutch. Wind direction should be your number one concern when you are making a stalk or still-hunting an area where you think an animal might be.

I got a buddy who smokes like a chimney, and has plenty of deer, coyotes, and bobcats under his belt to prove the wind in your face is the best bet.

2 hunters, John eberhart and Dan infold.

John = poster child for scentlok, check him out, he goes extreme lengths when it comes to scent
Dan infold aka, hunting beast has a different approach that is more raw and down to earth.

Both are very successful, well respected, white tail hunters.

I have clothing with scent control, and spray whenever I can, b.c I think it all helps with leaving a scent trail and for some reason gives me a little more confidence. I always play the wind when I can (winds change and swirls) and I keep telling myself that there is no such thing as a Helpless deer, they can sniff you out if they want to and run faster than you.

Anything that gives you confidence will help you be the best so I say try it out and see what works for you.

Anything that gives you confidence will help you be the best so I say try it out and see what works for you.

Could not have said it better myself.

I would personally put my money into good wool base layers since they are anti-microbial and help me not smell myself. haha

• Haha
Reactions: YETI
Break Wind, that will cover the sweat smell.
And then you can tell folks you heard ducks in that area too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lungpopper
Wind is the best scent block in your favor. How ever I do own scent lock gear because it's a good quality and lasts and you can find it on sale on there sight alot of times. I also hunt the wind to the best my ability but like mentioned it shifts alot and swirls where I hunt. But like was mentioned I know smokers and my uncles who have been extremely successful throughout my life with Levi's flannels and cigarettes. Use whatever but remember the wind is your best friend period.....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu