Is this deer legal,?

Ghosthunter

Jan 6, 2011
San Diego
Ok everyone I want to hear everyone’s opinion on whether this deer is legal or not. He is a spike but he has a small horn at his base that you can hang a ring on. This deer is a freak and must have hit his horns on a limb while he was growing and bent his horns back. I am hoping to get some more pics on this deer and if I determine he is legal I want my son to take him out being he is a bad breed buck as far as I am concerned, What's your thoughts,?

Attachments

• mikes camera 10-29-2011 018.JPG
    mikes camera 10-29-2011 018.JPG
    213.5 KB · Views: 42
??? good question maybe if you had a diffrent angle of the antlers that point just might make it.
But he is definitely an older deer that needs to be culled

I think not legal.Unless both tines are under 4".That looks like a spur,not a fork.I wouldn't chance it.The DFG are so hard up for funds that I think you will end up in court on that one.I say when in doubt pass.

unfortunatly it is not leagal. The fork has to be on the uper 2/3 or 3/4( I dont remember which) portion of the antler.
I have head of guys shooting spikes with a doe tag and then "shrinking" the spikes to under 3in and not having a problem

MattS said:
unfortunatly it is not leagal. The fork has to be on the uper 2/3 or 3/4( I dont remember which) portion of the antler.
I have head of guys shooting spikes with a doe tag and then "shrinking" the spikes to under 3in and not having a problem

Yep. I second that.

teachanother said:
MattS said:

Yep. I second that.
I've been wrong before.
Is that quoted in the regs? I only remember reading if you can hang a ring. I will read it again.

yep, it's in the regs. has to be a fork in the upper 2/3 of the antler or less than 3" spikes.

Here it is.351. Forked-Horn Buck, Antlerless and Either-Sex Deer Defined.
(a) Forked-Horn Buck Defined. For the purpose of these regulations a forked-horn buck is defined as a male deer having a branched antler on either side with the branch in the upper two-thirds of the antler. Eyeguards or other bony projections on the lower one-third of the antler shall not be considered as points or branches.

Ugly, but not legal ( upper 2/3) you want to cull it, scare it into traffic.

Great work guys, I read the regs earlier today but I wanted to get everyone’s opinion, I want this buck off the mountain, He is a mess. Maybe he will look a little better next year. I agree this deer has huge rear legs.

There is some goofy things that happen with mother nature, two years ago my son shot a forky, when he pulled on one side of his rack to drag him up a bank to gut, the rack fell off(like a shed), when he went to cut him open he noticed he didn't have any nuts.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu