IV Dove Report

WaterDawg

Nov 20, 2016
On opening morning we went to the same spot we’ve gone the last several years, near Calipatria. Dove numbers are usually good enough, and it checks all of the other boxes: not posted, not crowded, it has shade because it backs to a date palm grove, the shade is to the east so we’re looking and shooting west not into the sun, the field is flat so the dog can work without breaking a leg, and vegetation is short so we can recover birds. Anyway it is was VERY slow opening morning, and we left after a couple of hours and tried another spot that was slow too. At noon everyone went to the motel with around half limits.

Some of us went back out at 5:00 pm and were able to finish limits for the day. The birds flew much better than they did in the AM (?).

Day two we went to a new area a little farther south I had scouted on the way in on Saturday. Lots of plowed corn fields in the area. Much better. Everyone limited or came close by 10 and had a really fun shoot.

Great trip overall in terms of the fun factor. Highlight was Talon, a four year old on his first hunting trip with dad, GPA and the guys. Great to see! And his mom made hats for everyone with “Dove Hunt 2024” in blaze orange. As usual it took a woman to bring some class to the knuckle draggers.

IMG_0933.jpegIMG_0905.jpeg

Last edited:
Very nice, Kevin.....The picture of the grandson is great...Blood on the shorts and all......................... :clap:
The pic went straight to my daughter. My grandson is three so I’ve got 12 months to convince her that four is old enough to get out there for dove opener

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu