Jan 1st 2015 - CA requires new Safety Card for long gun purchase

DanSanDiego

Venison for Thanksgiving 2016
Sep 18, 2014
Starting Jan 1st 2015 CA now requires a Hangun Safety Certficate (being renamed the Firearm Safety Certificate) for the purchase of long guns (cost is $25 - $30). But make sure to check out the exceptions because there seems to be a lot of confusion around this new rule.
One exemption says that anyone with a valid hunting license is exempt.
http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/fscpfaqs#4G

"What are the exemptions from the Firearm Safety Certificate requirement?
There are a variety of FSC requirement exemptions. In addition to the previous HSC exemptions, a person issued a valid hunting license is exempt from the FSC requirement for long guns only [Penal Code 31700(c)]."

Next you'll need an ammunition safety certificate. I hate this Communist Republic of California. These liberals are following the words of tyrants their taking away our rights slowly one at a time. Until one day we will wake up and have no rights at all

I can only speak about Turner's Outdoorsman.......Their rep said the certificate is not required, if you have a valid hunting license.

John (NBK),

What's your policy?......Someone stated on another forum that Dick's Sporting Goods would require the certificate........Valid hunting license or not.

ilovesprig said:
I can only speak about Turner's Outdoorsman.......Their rep said the certificate is not required, if you have a valid hunting license.

John (NBK),

What's your policy?......Someone stated on another forum that Dick's Sporting Goods would require the certificate........Valid hunting license or not.
John has been out but I asked Nick at FF yesterday, and he confirmed that valid hunting license represents an exemption as stated in the FAQs. I have a rifle on order that will likely be affected. Hope John and Jonathan agree with him!

So at this point we only need it for handgun purchases. How long before they change that ?? Time will tell.

sportyg said:
So at this point we only need it for handgun purchases. How long before they change that ?? Time will tell.

OK - Here is how we interpret the new laws for 2015:

Effective January 1st, 2015 the existing Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC) program will be changed to the Firearm Safety Certificate (FSC) program (Senate Bill 683, Stats 2013, ch 761).

In effect, you will be required to take the test and remit $25 to the state (via your local gun shop) to acquire the new FSC and purchase a long gun. If you currently have a "HSC" card you will be able to continue to purchase handguns with this card until it expires. You will need the FSC to purchase long guns going forward. If you purchased a long gun and your 240 hours (ten day) requires a delivery of your long gun after the first of January, 2015 - you will be required to test out and acquire the FSC.

Do I need a Firearm Safety Certificate if I begin a long gun transaction prior to January 1, 2015, but don’t take possession of the long gun until after December 31, 2014?
Yes. Effective January 1, 2015, an FSC must be obtained prior to taking possession of a long gun, regardless of when the DROS transaction was initiated.

Regarding exemptions - a person issued a valid hunting license is exempt from the FSC requirement for long guns only. See below for exemptions (which means if you fall into the following categories you will not need to test or posses a FSC). You will be required to prove out your exemption though.

Here are the Firearm Safety Certificate requirement exemptions & codes:

X01 = Special Weapons Permit Holder
X02 = Operation of Law Representative
X03 = Handgun being returned to the owner
X13 = FFL collector with COE (curio and relic handguns only)
X21 = Military - Active Duty
X22 = Military - Reserve
X25 = Military - Honorably Retired
X31 = Peace Officer - California - Active
X32 = Peace Officer - Federal - Active
X33 = Peace Officer - California - Honorably Retired
X34 = Peace Officer - California - Reserve
X35 = Peace Officer - Federal - Honorably Retired
X41 = Carry Concealed Weapon (CCW) Permit Holder
X81 = P.O.S.T. 832 PC (Firearms) Training
X91 = Particular and Limited Authority Peace Officers
X95 = Law Enforcement Service Gun to Family Member
X98 = Valid Hunting License (long guns only)

What about this from the FAQs: "What are the exemptions from the Firearm Safety Certificate requirement?
There are a variety of FSC requirement exemptions. In addition to the previous HSC exemptions, a person issued a valid hunting license is exempt from the FSC requirement for long guns only [Penal Code 31700(c)]."
I read this as meaning an active hunting license constitutes an additional exemption.

D16hunter said:
Next you'll need an ammunition safety certificate. I hate this Communist Republic of California. These liberals are following the words of tyrants their taking away our rights slowly one at a time. Until one day we will wake up and have no rights at all

Bingo

Bonejour said:
What about this from the FAQs: "What are the exemptions from the Firearm Safety Certificate requirement?
I read this as meaning an active hunting license constitutes an additional exemption.

Don - re-read the Fine Firearms post above. It is all there, exemptions included.

This is clear as day for now. Untill they do something else. I do have a question and maybe it needs a different post but what about the new thing with getting rid of the 10day wait. Is that in effect for us that own rifles shot gun and pistols already? Can I (a law abiding safe gun owner with zero record) walk in with my hunting licence and walk out with a new shot gun same day after a clear ffl back ground check?

NBK said:
Don - re-read the Fine Firearms post above. It is all there, exemptions included.
Thanks John. I was just Califused there for a second ;)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu