JR Turkey opener

Yup, you just have to get through the weather. During the 2009 season, a Junior hunter I took out shot a fat jake on public land in driving rain. It was our third and final spot of the day and I called in about 7 jakes midday after about 10 mintes of calling. Just find a spot with birds and call sparsely, it might take more time and patience but it can definately be done.

Good eating but never had the chance to hunt them. A couple of years ago my son went out to private property but the weather changed and no luck. It seems like someone passes out fliers to the turkey and they move to the move to the private land. Oh well......

I might try to take one or both of my boys out Sunday morning. Just trying to figure out if it's worth the $60+ in gas when I haven't had a chance to scout.

So how did every one do today? I heard the weather was nasty but one gobbler hit the dust at the william heise park hunt.

We didnt go because my caller and so called guide bailed out cause of weather. We went and shot 100 rounds of sporting clays instead.

Bummer, I went out early this morning and saw a few nice toms. I just went out to see how the birds were doing and the morning was a bit slow but they started to gobble quite well around 8AM. Wish I could have aken some one out cause a nice tom with 9in beard or so came walking in front of me at about 15 yards. I didn't see anyone out there at all either.

Matagi said:
Bummer, I went out early this morning and saw a few nice toms. I just went out to see how the birds were doing and the morning was a bit slow but they started to gobble quite well around 8AM. Wish I could have aken some one out cause a nice tom with 9in beard or so came walking in front of me at about 15 yards. I didn't see anyone out there at all either.

Ah that is a bummer. I felt bad not taking him. Next time i guess.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu