Juniper Flats, Apple Valley

JLerch

Jun 8, 2020
Went up this weekend to Juniper Flats, saw a jackrabbit and cottontail but was not successful. Also, with a local rancher I spotted what was likely a bobcat! As I was walking looking for rabbits I heard that notorious “motorcycle” sound coming from somewhere and could not see a cat. Could have been that bobcat that we spotted afterwards. There are tons of quail in the area as well! As a side note, I hope everyone is respectful of our public lands, I picked up several shot shells and a couple mylar balloons. Lets keep this land fruitful and as pristine as possible for everyone to enjoy.
D2249353-F255-44BA-A5D4-078E546B1653.jpeg

JLerch, glad you saw quail out there.... in years past I hunted that area twice with dogs and never came across birds but my dogs did flush 2 giant owls out of a thicket in a wash there. Tuff eatin, them owls :joy:

JLerch, glad you saw quail out there.... in years past I hunted that area twice with dogs and never came across birds but my dogs did flush 2 giant owls out of a thicket in a wash there. Tuff eatin, them owls :joy:
Lots of birds in general out there. Saw those quail running across in flocks of 10 or so. Owl! Just when I thought I heard it all...

Reactions: Smokey58
Listen to Smokey58 , there are not any quail out there , they were just cactus wrens. Continue to concentrate on the San J upland area , thats the hot spot.

• Haha
Reactions: ilovesprig
Listen to Smokey58 , there are not any quail out there , they were just cactus wrens. Continue to concentrate on the San J upland area , thats the hot spot.
I literally was just there yesterday, tons of quail. Eyes and ears on em.

• Haha
Reactions: ilovesprig
I hear the upland area at San Jac is good to go!

You pretty much gave up your apple valley spot forever by broadcasting it to the world. More than likely it will be overrun by scab hunters that lurk on the internet. If you have a spot you want to be succesful with don't broadcast the location.
It’s not my spot brother, it’s public land. All are free to go. It’s a big area.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
It’s not my spot brother, it’s public land. All are free to go. It’s a big area.

Yea, the numbers will start to creep up, it won’t happen overnight, Can take years in some cases but will happen. But you do have hunter lazyness working in your favor. If you told 100 Random hunters if they showed up at an exact spot, on an exact day, at the crack of dawn there was a rifle pointing at a trophy buck all they had to do was show up and pull the trigger, I think 5 would show up and 95 would have a really good excuse why the couldn’t

Reactions: socalhntr
Sometime back there was this great local creek , off the beaten path a bit of a challenge to get to , well every couple of years a local outdoors "reporter" felt obligated to share the "public land" and he would do an article on the creek. Without fail you could count on seeing increased traffic , but the traffic included left trash , worm containers , beer cans , discarded clothes etc... In my opinion if an individual does not have to at least put some kind of work into finding a place such as scouting , building relationships and the spot is simply handed to them they tend to have much lower appreciation for the said spot.

Just my humble opinion. AND if you become known as the voice of the people and feel obligated to share the public land you will find that you have a much harder time building some very helpful relationships.

Sometime back there was this great local creek , off the beaten path a bit of a challenge to get to , well every couple of years a local outdoors "reporter" felt obligated to share the "public land" and he would do an article on the creek. Without fail you could count on seeing increased traffic , but the traffic included left trash , worm containers , beer cans , discarded clothes etc... In my opinion if an individual does not have to at least put some kind of work into finding a place such as scouting , building relationships and the spot is simply handed to them they tend to have much lower appreciation for the said spot.

Just my humble opinion. AND if you become known as the voice of the people and feel obligated to share the public land you will find that you have a much harder time building some very helpful relationships.
I hear you, and totally understand that and appreciate it. I am a hardworking person with a good work ethic and intend to promote that. I didn’t realize saying “Juniper Flats” was considered giving up a spot as the area is 100,000+ acres. I’ll be more mindful from now on.

Truth be told, that area ain’t no secret. I’ve hunted it plenty, along with a lot of my buddies. That said, I know a few honey holes and I ain’t giving those away. However... I can be bought. :laughing:

My buddy owns 15 acres out there butts right against BLM border ... Lucky ME! Last time he checked there were some squatters on the land.. Quail and squatter hunting all in one day! You just can't beat that! Who is gonna miss some squatters...Seriously...

Just Kidding Mr Janitor...just having some fun. But I am not kidding about the 15 acres...Whooopeeeee

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu