Just another new guy with questions here

mochosla

Nov 17, 2013
Hi,

My name is Carlos and have never land hunted in my life. I've been a fisherman, diver, free diver/underwater hunter and would really like to try hunting. I enjoy being on the water, smoking meats, making my own sausages, etc. I'm still deciding whether or not to embark on this life style but is seems very likely that I will give it a try.

I will be reading a lot and probably asking some stupid questions but I promise I will use the search option before :).

A question for the experts, I'm looking into buying a gun to hunt for deer or pig. Turner's recommended a Ruger .300 and a Leupold scope. ~$700 for the package. So my questions are:

Is this a decent setup?
Any other brands you would recommend?
Is it too late for deer season?

Thank you very much.

This is the gun they offered:

http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRifle/orderNow.html?catalog=AMERICAN&model=6901&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.galleryofguns.com%2Fgenie%2Fmanuflink.asp%3Fmanuf%3DRuger%26item%3D&sku=6901

and this is the scope:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-rifleman-qdmanager-3-9x40mm-riflescope.html?gclid=CNb1_bvC7boCFStxQgod_lAApQ&ef_id=UMUDiwAAXufQDO7g:20131118044058:s

Go to Fine Firearms in La Mesa before you decide on either a scope or a rifle. You are doing your homework, and obviously you are looking for input from knowledgeable people before you make a final decision. They'll give you good advice.

Thanks for the advice. La Mesa is quite a drive for me. I live in San Fernando Valley in LA.

to me for the money that seems like a good setup. ruger is very good rifle. & I like the leupold.
30-06 is a good all around cartridge. you may consider the 270, 260 or the 6mm. I would read up on it.
do you know anyone who can let you shoot any of the above? try before buying it.

mochosla said:
Thanks for the advice. La Mesa is quite a drive for me. I live in San Fernando Valley in LA.

I have that same gun in .308. Shoots really good for a "budget rifle". Very light weight. I have a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 on it as well and now have my groupings around 3" (non bench rest) at 200 yards. Look around... there are lots of places to find that specific rifle for cheaper than what they're doing. I got mine online so I had to pay some FFL fees and whatnot, but out the door I paid a little over $400. If you're willing to spend $700 on a rifle, you should check out the TC Venture or something of the likes (IMHO). Good luck to you and you're hunting endeavors.

RugerAmerican308.jpg

The Ruger American is one of the best rifles under $500. Ruger also has the best warranty in the firearms business. The scope you are looking at is excellent and the package price you quoted is very reasonable.

I wouldn't hesitate to hunt that rig.

8SteelTown said:
mochosla said:

I have that same gun in .308. Shoots really good for a "budget rifle". Very light weight. I have a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 on it as well and now have my groupings around 3" (non bench rest) at 200 yards. Look around... there are lots of places to find that specific rifle for cheaper than what they're doing. I got mine online so I had to pay some FFL fees and whatnot, but out the door I paid a little over $400. If you're willing to spend $700 on a rifle, you should check out the TC Venture or something of the likes (IMHO). Good luck to you and you're hunting endeavors.

Unfortunately, I do not know anyone who can let me shoot any of these guns. Heck, I don't even know anyone to go hunting with!!

Thanks for the advice.

The new remington 783's are pretty sweet too. Very accurate smooth bolt. I went with that for my gf and it's a nice little gun

The ruger is good but checkout the savage axis my brother inlaw has it in 308 and it rocks and my other brother in law has it in 270 and we are using it this weekend in tx. Both are great guns

I purchased the Savage edge/axis combo, 243. it came with the Bushnell scope I am happy with it.
but to be honest I like the Ruger a little better.it has a life time warranty leupold is a better scope.
but for the money the Savage combo is a good starter setup. :D
I have a habit of scratching, dinging stuff & hunting in the rain. so I don't spend a lot of money for my stuff.
what I really like about the Savage Rifle it's very light. easy to carry while doing those long hikes.
go to the nearest PK2000 gun range & ask them if you can rent or try something.
have a professional give you safety instructions while learning.

went I was younger I did not mine carrying that 8-9 LB setup. now a days the lighter the better with less kick back. :p

I have a habit of scratching, dinging stuff & hunting in the rain. so I don't spend a lot of money for my stuff.

Great point LBH. Whatever you pay for it, a hunting rifle is not a museum piece. After I bought my A bolt, Doug McLanahan was helping me break it in and I scratched the bolt housing when is was breaking it down to oil it. He said, "Remember, it's just a rifle."

go to the nearest PK2000 gun range & ask them if you can rent or try something.

Outstanding advice! Great staff and great selection. They'll set you up right.

Sent via Tapatalk

FYI... I saw a black Friday email from Turners. They're selling the Ruger American in .270 with a Burris 3-9x40 on Leupold rings for $399. It's the Navy Blue Digital Camo. They only have 100 of them. Call ahead to make sure the Turners by you will have it. Can't beat that deal...

I have a little bit of everything. I do have a Ruger American in 270 Win with a Redfield Revenge 3x9x42mm. I love that optic. The rifle itself is great too. Fairly light weight and for the price I have no problem taking it out in the field and dinging it up. It's not a great bench gun due to the light weight and smaller barrel (exactly what makes it a good hunting rig)
My buddy has the savage axis in 30-06 and I would take the ruger over it any day.
Right now Turners has the Ruger on special. You'll probably be out the door for about $400 for the rifle. You can get the optics for $179 right now and there's a $45 rebate with the accu-ranger hunter reticle. Add a good set of rings and you should be all said and done for about $650.
As far as getting it in a 300, I wouldn't recommend it but that's just my opinion.

Fine Firearms has the Ruger American on special just for SCH members. Not going to quote a price but come by the shop and see! All calibers and configurations including digital camo are in stock. All optics and rings will be discounted and mounting and laser bore sighting is free!

I have the Savage Edge in a .270, and the leupold 3-9x40, and have killed 3 deer with it. Tough gun that has been dropped, and busted a lot of brush.
The next gun will be the Ruger American in a 30-06. I have read that this is also a very tough gun. The adjustable trigger was very attractive ( the only reason I am going with a bigger round is the thought that one day I may go out of state for bigger game)
I have bought the same QDMA 3-9x40 Leupold scope again.
I think your choice is spot on for what you need here in California. I recommend before you make your final decision on what round you are going to chamber, go to your local gun shop. Walmart, or Big 5, and see how available the round is. I always see .270, and 30-06.
Welcome to the board

This is why I love this site, any other site guys would be arguing and telling each other how stupid their set up is. Only good info here well done guys!!!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu