Kern Draw 10/28

PewPew252

Aug 29, 2020
Hunting buddy got a top draw at Kern. I'd usually be at Wister but we've never drawn Kern before so taking the opportunity. I know it hasn't opened on time in recent years due to water, but if anyone has any info on current conditions and if any blinds are dry this early in the season I would appreciate it. I hear the Northeast blinds are the way to go generally. I know, I need to scout it. It's been busy, and the 4 month old baby in the house doesn't yet like hunting, so scouting trips are a tough sell. Any input anyone has would be appreciated!

9 reservations are being sent out and 61 hunters are being allowed on...There are 4 assigned blinds (party of 4) and 2 handicap blinds available...Free roam units are 2 and 1 A (party of 2)...:blush:

Good luck.......I love that place...... :heart:

9 reservations are being sent out and 61 hunters are being allowed on...There are 4 assigned blinds (party of 4) and 2 handicap blinds available...Free roam units are 2 and 1 A (party of 2)...:blush:

Good luck.......I love that place...... :heart:
Thanks! Someone said there were "space blinds" and "assigned ponds" do you know the difference? The website says there is more room to roam on assigned ponds, guessing the space blinds are 100yd from a pole like Wister.

Thanks! Someone said there were "space blinds" and "assigned ponds" do you know the difference? The website says there is more room to roam on assigned ponds, guessing the space blinds are 100yd from a pole like Wister.

Space blinds means you have a blind with a number and a stake...Federal refuges allow 100 feet from the blind stake...Assigned ponds means the free roam ponds (2 & 1A)...I have hunted both and have been successful with both...I liked the blinds we took, but normally the best (bigger) ducks are taken in the free roam area...If you don't know the refuge, I think you would be better off with a blind the 1st time... :blush:

ps...Be prepared for long walks to the blinds...Some are over a 1.5 miles...The free roam Unit 2 is right out of the parking lot....1A is a long walk as well.

kern-map-juniors.jpg

Reactions: PewPew252
Space blinds means you have a blind with a number and a stake...Federal refuges allow 100 feet from the blind stake...Assigned ponds means the free roam ponds (2 & 1A)...I have hunted both and have been successful with both...I liked the blinds we took, but normally the best (bigger) ducks are taken in the free roam area...If you don't know the refuge, I think you would be better off with a blind the 1st time... :blush:

ps...Be prepared for long walks to the blinds...Some are over a 1.5 miles...The free roam Unit 2 is right out of the parking lot....1A is a long walk as well.

View attachment 60150
Thanks! Great info. They say 2.5 hours early is when they open, no 3am like Wister?!

Reactions: ilovesprig
When I went last year I didn't really think there was any bad blinds or assigned ponds so if you get a res you get something decent even if you are last. It was later in the season but they all produced when I went. We were in blind 10, an island blind, which is closer to the parking but don't be deceived even that felt pretty far having to slog out to an island. I stopped at 5 birds cause I dumped a few of my 25 in the drink and when I was out I did not want to walk back to get more.

The blind for 10 itself was pretty junk and we ended up in the tulles. Other areas had better actual blinds, ours was just some hog fencing staked into the ground with vegetation wove in. When we were there the tulles in 10 were grown in in a way so we were setup SW of the blind. TBH not really what we wanted with the wind and as the day went on the sun but it was what it was. You know where to look if you want to see exactly how that blind looked last year. But keep in mind these places change constantly.

Blinds with have a blind of varying quality that you need to be a 100 yards of.
Assigned ponds you have free roam of the pond you pick. Keep in mind you've never been there and it'll be dark.
I've noticed some of the assigned ponds from last year are now blinds.
Free roam are the big units. TBH a kayak is gonna be helpful getting deeper into those. I think when it's open that kayaks are actually recommended for unit 1 and has numerous deep spots.

If you have recent imagery option on which ever hunt app you got it'll be low res but should give you a decent idea of any tully patches in the assigned ponds.
I'd mark them all so you are not fumbling around in the dark if you go with one of those.

Last year Kern published what came out of what specific blinds ponds hunters etc. I heard they were not going to do that this year? Hopefully not but if they post anything that helps. Was much better then the garbage other places post.

And if you've got space for an extra hunter and pup....
I have been there. Once.

Reactions: PewPew252

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu