Kern Question

CaptJgray

Aug 20, 2013
Hey All,

It has been quite a few years since I have been to Kern and I just found out the I drew #7 for Jan 10th!!! Not only has it been a while since Ive been there but Ive only been there 1 other time.

Im not asking for any secrets but can someone shed a little insight into what I should be thinking of.

Not just what areas I should be looking at hunting but even what time to get there and any local knowledge that will help me get the best bang for the buck out of this draw.

Thank You!!!

There are 4 blinds available and you're allowed 4 people in those blinds......Since there's 7 reservations given out. There's no guarantee you would get one. Better only take one person with you......Also open is Unit 2......I like Blind 7, but it probably won't be there when you pic......haven't been there for about 3 years. Tough draw for sure. I think someone I know just hunted blind 11 and did well.

If you can get there the day before. You can drive the loop and see some of Unit 2......I personally like the free roam (Unit 2) best anyway...... ;)

I hunted on the #4 ressie back before Christmas. There were only 3 blinds available, so if you're not 1, 2, or 3, don't plan on bringing more than one more hunter with you. As Sprig said, only 2 hunters/ressie for Unit 2.

We hunted Unit 2 and despite never having been there before did pretty well. I did a short write up if you search the forum.

Dave

Assuming you go into area 2 just remember the north and east sides of two are too deep to wade across. You can wade in from the south or west.

Be flexible and ready to move around. A decoy sled is a great tool there

Coots are your friend

KID CREOLE said:
...A decoy sled is a great tool there

One bazillion percent agree with this. If you have a canoe or kayak, take that thing too!!! Just don't paddle through the dekes 5 mins before shoot time. :eek:

A-5_Guy said:
KID CREOLE said:
...A decoy sled is a great tool there

One bazillion percent agree with this. If you have a canoe or kayak, take that thing too!!! Just don't paddle through the dekes 5 mins before shoot time. :eek:

+One bazillion and 1.......... ;)..........A few pix from Unit 2.

Attachments

• kern 2010 004.JPG
    kern 2010 004.JPG
    830.1 KB · Views: 49
  • kern 2010 016.JPG
    kern 2010 016.JPG
    764.7 KB · Views: 55
  • kern 2010 011.JPG
    kern 2010 011.JPG
    389.6 KB · Views: 39
  • kern 2010 024.old.JPG
    kern 2010 024.old.JPG
    456.1 KB · Views: 51
  • kern 2010 027.JPG
    kern 2010 027.JPG
    623.7 KB · Views: 48
Wow I missed this place, I know that pond, center of the east side of area 2 about 1/3 mile north of the first parking lot.
Good for everything, the pond is also a U turn area for divers heading back up to the closed zone

KID CREOLE said:
Wow I missed this place, I know that pond, center of the east side of area 2 about 1/3 mile north of the first parking lot.
Good for everything, the pond is also a U turn area for divers heading back up to the closed zone

Yeah Stef.......Got a banded redhead that day........ ;)

Attachments

• kern 2010 014.JPG
    kern 2010 014.JPG
    1,022.8 KB · Views: 54

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu