Kids and wife just got their license!

unleaded slinger

Aug 7, 2014
I'm stoked because my wife and kids just got their hunting license. We've always gone out hunting together, but this will be the first time we all hunt together. Nine year old boy and eleven year old girl. My daughter will be 12 next year and I'm looking at getting her either a .243 or 7mm-08. Any thoughts? I know that's a broad question, but I figure I could get some good feedback from you guys. She's a tiny girl, 4'4" and 56lbs so weight and recoil play a factor. Thanks! Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.

That great news. My daughter is the same age. My youngest to her 2 older bolt others. My girl has a 243 and it's loud but no kick. She like it. She going to. Guided deer hunt this year on orivate land. I hope she downs one. I sgoit nothing but 223 and 243 and it's works well for California sized gam

That's what I've heard about the .243. Again, I've never shot either one, but would it be safe to say that it is less forgiving with shot placement than the 7mm-08?

Anyone ever shot both? Would love to hear your thoughts on the differences.

If we are ever in the same area you can shoot mine any time. I've also got an LR243 dpms style ar10 in 243. It's even louder very heavy but with the compensator has te same recoil as my 223 ar

unleaded slinger said:
That's what I've heard about the .243. Again, I've never shot either one, but would it be safe to say that it is less forgiving with shot placement than the 7mm-08?

Anyone ever shot both? Would love to hear your thoughts on the differences.

I've shot both........Not much difference recoil wise IMO.......The biggest difference to me is.......Availability of ammo and cost of that ammo.......Bought the Savage Axis for my daughter last week ($339.99). The stock is a little long and the trigger was heavy.......Cut spring has improved the pull to about 3 1/2 lbs.

Ammo was a big issue or me as well. I don't like odd ball stuff. I reload but still. 243 can be found at Wally's for 18 a box. I have an old 300savage basically what the 308 was built off but a tad shorter and I can not find it easily or cheaply. I'd personally stick with something easy to find. I got my daughters 243 marlin youth xs7 used with a nice brand new scope in a youth model stock for 200 OTD. She's 11 and built like a twig and it's ok for her and will also grow with her with a longer stock. Or the add on stock piece I made so I could use it also. It's not the best gun but the price was right and it gets her shooting.
She is not afraid of it like our shot guns and she drives 2" groups at 100yrds with it after only 2 times at the range.

7mm-08 is an amazing cartridge that has enough power to hunt all animals in the lower 48. It is much more versatile than the .243 Win. Another cartridge to consider is the .260 Rem. Shoots flat, low recoil and has ample power for all big game less carnivores.

If the only place you shop is wally world, buy a .243. If not, the two cartridge mentioned are pretty hard to beat regarding power versus recoil. And both ammo can be purchased almost anywhere.

I hadn't thought about the .260, but now you've given me something else to consider. As for ammo, I do reload, so I plan on working some loads once I decide which caliber to get. So far I am leaning towards the 7mm-08 because of it's versatility. Thanks everyone!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu