Laguna Public Land Zoo

CLarson757

Dec 29, 2019
About a week ago I got a guy and two young kids that found my trail cam. They walked around the area, pointed out my treestand and then poked around a little bit. This morning, my camera had some deer on it. But, it also captured the flash of another camera about 20 yards in front of my camera. Exactly where this guy was walking around. Not saying I own the spot or anything, it’s the game we play on public. But for crying out loud man, you didn’t even try to be out of the immediate area. You legit setup right on top of my set. I’ve hunted this spot for four years. Had hunters breeze through. But why would you want to setup right on top of someone else. Someone else who’s done the work and found an area with deer in the zone. Secondly, if I found a trail cam I wouldn’t stand in front of it and have my kids face all over it.

• Haha
Reactions: JakeSCH
Looks like Larry...he's everywhere

You have to understand. For some people, Hunting is not what it is for you. Meaning, some people do not see anything wrong with placing a camera near yours. To them, their camera close to yours might not interfere with your hunting.

You have hunted the area for 4yrs. How do you think people who have hunted the area for 10+yrs feel about your presence in the area or your camera placement for that matter? Think about that!...Who is right or wrong with Cameras anyway?..some people find it to be bad manners to have them in public land too. People hike the area with kids, wives, and girlfriends. Imagine you feel like getting a quicky in the woods and you got your butt-nacked wife in some hunter's camera?...Talk about wanting to beat the shit out of someone...I would...lol.

I 100% understand why you are annoyed. But you can't dictate courtesy rules from people you don't know in public land. My advice to you is to remove this guy's pic right away and move on. Lower your expectations when hunting public land in places like Laguna..seriously the place is as much as a recreational area as it is a place to hunt.

I hope you don't take my comments the wrong way.

Reactions: socalhntr
I know this general area is popular. For good reason. The same reasons I hunt it. But it’s big enough for people to get their own little area and spread out. You can walk for miles in Laguna and find a stand or camera every 100 yards. No sense in making it any tighter than it already is.

I'm sorry but what's wrong with being or having your kid on somebodies trail cam? Why should that be a concern? I personally give a little wave to trail cams when I find them as a little I see you. Lets em know your not somebody that'll tamper or steal their cam.

And while in most situations I would avoid setting up near anothers cam... look at it this way. There is no shortage of pricks out there that'll steal your cam or memory card or look though your pics. While I would of found my own spot for various reasons they didn't do any of those things on the positive side.

I'm sorry but what's wrong with being or having your kid on somebodies trail cam? Why should that be a concern? I personally give a little wave to trail cams when I find them as a little I see you. Lets em know your not somebody that'll tamper or steal their cam.

And while in most situations I would avoid setting up near anothers cam... look at it this way. There is no shortage of pricks out there that'll steal your cam or memory card or look though your pics. While I would of found my own spot for various reasons they didn't do any of those things on the positive side.

Nothing wrong at all with bringing kids into nature and getting them into the lifestyle. I’m concerned the dad setup a camera 20 yards in front of mine. Kids have no weight to the situation. I’d be happy if I had seen him and his kids during season. I’d much rather watch a youngster take a shot at a public land animal. I’d even help get them on animals. Just not on top of another hunter for etiquette and safety reasons. Would you want to put your kids back to another hunter that you don’t know or trust?

I've been hunting up there since '98 and now you can't walk very far at all without seeing a stand or camera up there :oops: And a lot less game...

I typically give a wave when I see them. A couple weeks ago I was up in a spot I haven't been to in a few seasons. I sat for the evening session and while glassing I see a huge ladder stand. Keep panning and glassing and there's 3 cameras in less than 100 yards. On my way out I walked past two cameras that are literally within 20 yards of each other and one of them had the cover open, so I closed it (you're welcome whoever owns it).

I've been hunting up there since '98 and now you can't walk very far at all without seeing a stand or camera up there :oops: And a lot less game...

I typically give a wave when I see them. A couple weeks ago I was up in a spot I haven't been to in a few seasons. I sat for the evening session and while glassing I see a huge ladder stand. Keep panning and glassing and there's 3 cameras in less than 100 yards. On my way out I walked past two cameras that are literally within 20 yards of each other and one of them had the cover open, so I closed it (you're welcome whoever owns it).

Gosh I’ve bet you’ve seen that area evolve over the years. I’m always on the lookout for cameras and stands. Unfortunately, it seems like the area is not slowing down from a pressure standpoint. On the other hand, there are always hikers, bikers and hunters in the area and I’ve had success hunting there. The last couple seasons I’ve come to the conclusion that if I want to hunt up there, I have to out hunt other hunters as much as the deer.

Reactions: socalhntr

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu