Lake Henshaw Hunting Tips

ok kids, the ducks are down and the time for BS is over. its put up or shut up time!!!!!! This might be the best weekend of the year from the reports i am getting.

Plaster city will be on fire!

One of the best ways to learn spots at Henshaw is go there with binoculars sit across at the restaurant and glass across the lake Wednesday, Saturday, or Sunday morning. Where ever you see guys crushing ducks right big spreads that is where you should go hunt the next week. Sounds a little shady I know but hunting is a dirty business. Trust no one. Just make sure you leave early enough to beat that guy to his spot.

@ilovesprig has never not told me where to go. Shoot him a PM. If you get a low res number the guy can’t resist he will jump in with you more than likely and his dog will pick up your birds.

I have got at least 30 guys their first animals mostly birds. Maybe a handful of those guys actually go out with out me. Most people just like the idea of hunting. There are only a small number of dudes stupid enough to hunt the way we do. I like those dudes. If you don’t like misery, failure, and wasting money you probably are not a successful hunter.

Lucked out again, John.... :joy:

.View attachment 42400
We did alright. They did not want to decoy. Tried everything. Got them all on close pass shots. Guys across from us were shooting high. We got rained on by good sized BBs.
Just nuts to take shots as high as they were across from us. I kept a BB for a souvenir. We had fun. Good mix of ducks. They will shoot over a 2 at SJ.

John

We did alright. They did not want to decoy. Tried everything. Got them all on close pass shots. Guys across from us were shooting high. We got rained on by good sized BBs.
Just nuts to take shots as high as they were across from us. I kept a BB for a souvenir. We had fun. Good mix of ducks. They will shoot over a 2 at SJ.

John

Funny John...I kept one from the rain too...Looked like BBB compared to our little #3's...lol

I think it was close to 2.2...

Funny John...I kept one from the rain too...Looked like BBB compared to our little #3's...lol

I think it was close to 2.2...
The wind helped. We will see what happens on Saturday. Still waiting on the big influx of Greenwings to show. Saw some good wads of them but there should be more.

John

Reactions: ilovesprig
John,

I agree about the GW's...First ones we actually saw in a long while...I think the ducks are here...Just need the weather.

ps...You drawn for San J again?

John,

I agree about the GW's...First ones we actually saw in a long while...I think the ducks are here...Just need the weather.

ps...You drawn for San J again?
I have not drawn crap. Hunted with a buddy who had a draw and took me along. Hunting SJ on Saturday on another guy's draw and helping them out. I have options other than the refuge. Heading North to chase Mallards and Quail in a few weeks. I wish D16 was open through December because I would rather be hunting deer right now.

John

If you don’t like misery, failure, and wasting money you probably are not a successful hunter.

My deer season consisted of only this ^^^ but it's what keeps me going back..

All I can say is there have been a couple guys on here who have taken the time to reach out to me on here to lend some knowledge or even offer up some gear when I needed it. So really grateful for that.. I spent 8 days in the woods this past deer season and didnt see any deer but I did see some sign and got some bucks on my trail cams so I know at least I can identify an area where deer pass or hang out and I was right. Still have some time to try waterfowling this season but it's a little intimidating and I need to get geared up for it. Glad there are some serious duck hunters on here I can ask questions to.

Reactions: TRICER
Yikes, i certainly didnt intend to kick up this shit storm. For what its worth, I have hunted Henshaw a few times and everybody has been pretty cool. I actually shot some birds once because a guy (non-member) let me hunt with him and his dog. Anyhow, i wasnt looking to be spoon-fed anything; rather, i was just looking for a little intel (i.e. which side of the lake, etc.) to shorten my learning curve. I do this for a lot of guys fishing in La Jolla, etc. I dont get to hunt much, so just trying to make the most of it when i do.
It is winter! time for bickering....

Hey all,

I am new to this forum, but have found a lot of great info! My friend is a member, so we are planning to go out on Saturday. I saw some old posts with some great info, but wanted to see if there is any updated intel from this year.

We have some green wing teal, widgeon and some mallard decoys as well as a couple of Mojos. Any other decoy tips. How many? What kind?

Any recommendations on where to hunt? Ive heard near the dam is good? We will probably rent a boat and set up on Friday.

I really appreciate it.

Follow what “bohdi” provided. I stopped by Thursday mid day after quail hunting with my spotting scope and binos and saw a ton of ducks (several varieties). But it was sunny with no wind. Would have been a frustrating day there. Good luck.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu