Lake Sutherland Turkey Hunt

J

jrbdad

Thinking of going and getting in on the drow for turkey at Sutherland. Anyone done this, how was it? Any info would be great.

Thanks

jrbdad said:
Thinking of going and getting in on the drow for turkey at Sutherland. Anyone done this, how was it? Any info would be great.

Thanks
I won a drawing a few years ago to hunt Turkeys at this turkey Tune Up as they call it but the cost was more than I thought it would be worth so turned it down. It is crowded but a good time good luck

I think it is great for beginner, my wife and I won one last year for the first time and it was great. One thing I think would be better is if they split the hunts in half for the youth hunters, I know they do have a couple youth hunt's/seasons but I would rather see more of the kids that don't have a enjoyable place with good odds to go and get a turkey. We ended up with a real nice tom and the wife was able to see the show from fly down to pulling the trigger we still talk about it all the time she really liked it good luck.

We went last year not knowing what to expect. Long drive for us and it wasnt what we expected. Yes it rained and was trying to stay under the ezups. Was very small and really not much to do. They gave away a lot of raffle prizes and hunts but we didnt win a thing.

I used to assist new hunters on their hunts while I worked with the local NWTF. I have yet to hunt it my self but it's great early to mid season but dies off quick toward the end after the birds have been chased around a bit. I really like hunting there though, great place for new hunters. I'm just glad that we still have access to that area after what happened last year. City's not too happy with the chapter...

Matagi said:
I used to assist new hunters on their hunts while I worked with the local NWTF. I have yet to hunt it my self but it's great early to mid season but dies off quick toward the end after the birds have been chased around a bit. I really like hunting there though, great place for new hunters. I'm just glad that we still have access to that area after what happened last year. City's not too happy with the chapter...
What happened? and does anyone know if they are gonna do a youth hunt at William Heise this year?

All I could find was info regarding the 2011 youth hunt at William Heise.

I know that te county approved a hunt at Santa Ysabel reserve and the county boar of supervisors will be voting one last time to finalize the hunt. So far it's mostly going to be youth hunts and possibly have adult hunts in the future. With this county it's all about taking baby steps to gain trust so I think little by little there maybe more opportunities for hunts. I would recommend to enter for the hunts at the next tune-up.

It's amazing how much has changed since the first tune up. The first tune up ever was at eagle peak ranch and I think it was like 5 hunts that was raffles off. I was 13 at the time and that was the first time I ever saw a turkey. No chairs, no mikes, just sitting around a a few picnik tables and that was it. I'm guessing there were maybe 25 people that attended.

Good times.

Check today's union tribune, the William Heisse park hunt was approved (by a narrow margin) but the tribune also eluded to the fact that the hunt would be challenged in court. There is activity going on in the hunting community to move it to the Santa Ysabel preserve but that has not been approved. the county supervisors that disapprove (check the story for the supervisors we should not reelect) are concerned that it violates the charter of the preserve and could result in deer and other hunts being conducted in the preserve. If this hunt was being conducted in Oregon or Nevada or Arizona or Idaho or Montana or blah blah blah it would'nt be an issue, Kalifornia sucks

The preserve hunt was the hunt that was approved. I believe from what I have heard is that the chapter would rather hunt the preserve due to the limited space at the park. The park hunt was challenged by number of different groups including members of the barona tribal council. This time they have the ultra environmental lawyer helping them to challenge it so not sure what will happen. It makes so much more sense to have the hunts on the east preserve.

Snake Charmer said:
. the county supervisors that disapprove (check the story for the supervisors we should not reelect) are concerned that it violates the charter of the preserve and could result in deer and other hunts being conducted in the preserve. If this hunt was being conducted in Oregon or Nevada or Arizona or Idaho or Montana or blah blah blah it would'nt be an issue, Kalifornia sucks
x2 vote snake charmer for supervisor! lol

Fred - I could not find anything in the UT but I did find this in the Ramona Sentinal

January 26, 2012
Ramona Sentinel
Ramona's Community Paper Since 1886

Supervisors approve wild turkey hunt in Santa Ysabel preserve

San Diego County Board of Supervisors on Wednesday approved a plan to move a two-day wild turkey hunt for youth to the Santa Ysabel East Open Space Preserve.

The event was held last March at William Heise County Park near Julian.

County officials want to move it to a larger and less-used venue a few miles away to lessen conflicts with other park visitors.

The change was opposed by animal rights activists and environmentalists who said the supervisors were redefining a preserve. Chairman Ron Roberts agreed. He and Supervisor Pam Slater-Price dissented in a 3-2 vote.

Public supporters of the hunt said the purpose of the preserve was to protect open space, not poultry, and that county documents show officials want to reduce the numbers of wild turkeys on the property.

Supervisor Greg Cox said he did not agree with a contention by opponents that allowing the one event will open the door for hunting on other county-owned lands.

“We have a limited area, a limited amount of time,” Cox said.

According to a staff report, six youngsters took part in the supervised hunt last March and four bagged turkeys. The event is limited to a maximum of 20 young hunters.

Supporters estimated that there are 20,000 wild turkeys in San Diego County.

http://www.ramonasentinel.com/2012/01/26/supervisors-approve-wild-turkey-hunt-in-santa-ysabel-preserve/

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu