Late late report. First ever big game, pig hunt at tejon

Capt.bones

Sep 15, 2015
San Diego, CA
IMG_2282.jpg IMG_2278(1).jpg 20180308_231210.jpg So this is a old hunting report, back in december, but my first ever big game success. Short story (cause I like the European mount I did for it more than the story lol check it out under the taxidermy forum) I was invited to come up to tejon when the fishing season slowed down. Beautiful place, elk, bear, lots of dear, pigs etc... Never felt I was in a "reserve". Took the shot at about 180 yards. It ran into the bushes and I thought I missed the shot. Found about 50 feet from where it connected. So so exciting. Could not believe the feeling of killing such an amazing animal. Here's some pics. Sorry for the short version. I feel I could write a book about my experience at tejon. I used my 5.56 with Barnes 70 grain. Great, great ammo.

I'm going to post in the taxidermy page. I did the skull myself and built the back board for it. Thanks for reading. Hope to get out there soon.

Last edited:
Their turkeys (Merriams) were way down and I heard they weren't promoting it like years past.....Good to hear.
Steve, that seems like a place where they would have booming turkey populations.

What are their thoughts? Drought and predation as usually assumed?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Nick,

Pretty sure it was the extended drought.....Turkeys like most ground nesting birds just can't go more than a couple of years without recruitment.....Predators are well managed there.....Including lions.....;)

Reactions: Jdub760

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu