Late to the Turkey season, but better late then never

Welcome to SCH. Where are you located, what firearms/bows do you have, and what are you looking to hunt?
Thanks! Nice to meet you! I’m in the Cypress area. Just a Ruger 10/22 and Moss 500 20 gauge. Looking to get a TC Compass .308 soon for deer. Just started this year and haven’t gone on any hunts yet but hoping to hunt anything my family and I can eat.

H & d,

Don't know where you live, but the National Wild Turkey Federation, San Diego Chapter has monthly meetings (& bull session), the 4th Tuesday of the month in Poway....Great place to meet like minded folks....:blush:
I already looked at that but time and distance won’t allow me. Definitely want to get to know everyone on this site though.

Report:
Dawnandusk (Fabian) and I met up early Saturday morning at 4:00, in position parked by 4:30, for the hike in. Only a couple other vehicles in place by then.
Made the trek in (heard plenty gobbles on the way in) to an awesome tree/blind that Fabian & his son had scouted out previously. In position by dark 30, set couple decoys out on hill. We were about 300yds from city property where the turkeys roost. Fabian did a few slate/box calls throughout the morning (sounded great). We had gobble responses from the calls all morning, but could not get any of them to commit to come up the hill out of the valley. A few sounded like they were getting closer, but then would tail off, seemingly going up valley. Did not get a visual on any of them, just audio. Things got really quiet by mid-day, so did some local scouting around the immediate area. Did not see any jakes/tom's, but caught visual of a hen that appeared to be nesting out in the semi-open down in the valley. By Mid-day decided to check out other areas, see if we could get a visual.
Drove to another spur/draw valley that looked promising, hiked up a mile or so, beautiful habit, but a little too dense. Did not get any responses from calls, decided to call it a day.
On the way out, did catch visual of a Tom just off the dirt road on city property who responded well to Fabian's peacock calls. As we are watching this guy, Eric / Eva / and wife pull up (NWTF members) they were out scouting different areas, looking for spots for the archery season for Eva coming up soon.
Overall great day, while we didn't harvest, enjoyed being out hunting. Dawnandusk/Fabian is a solid dude! Appreciated his pre-scouting knowledge and T-calling skills for sure!
-Robert

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu