Late to the Turkey season, but better late then never

SDLIVIN

Oct 26, 2018
decoys arrived.
As often happens, life has gotten in the way, so have not been able to get out and scout much less hunt for turkeys yet this season.
Plan is to go this weekend. Gives me a couple weeks with shotgun, and then couple weeks archery only left for the season.

turk decoys.jpg

decoys arrived.
As often happens, life has gotten in the way, so have not been able to get out and scout much less hunt for turkeys yet this season.
Plan is to go this weekend. Gives me a couple weeks with shotgun, and then couple weeks archery only left for the season.

View attachment 39136
I don't think I would take all those decoys out this late in the season, maybe just a hen.

For one your not seeing many groups of hens this time of year, makes older birds a little hesitant to come in. Little calling , make the old bird come look for you, if he see's the hen chances are he will wait for her to come to him. IMO

Robert,

Totally agree with Mark (Mag 1)….But, if you're new to the game and don't call well, decoys can make up for a lot of mistakes....Call sparingly and let the decoys do their job.

ps....Cut the beard off the jake.

pss….2 days ago....These 2 longbeards came in to us just find....Jake & 2 hens....;)

.007.JPG

Robert,

Totally agree with Mark (Mag 1)….But, if you're new to the game and don't call well, decoys can make up for a lot of mistakes....Call sparingly and let the decoys do their job.

ps....Cut the beard off the jake.

pss….2 days ago....These 2 longbeards came in to us just find....Jake & 2 hens....;)

.View attachment 39141
ilovesprig, beautiful birds! I just got into hunting this year and on this site.
Hoping to pass the knowledge and my experience onto my kids later on.
You'll be seeing me more often on the boards!

H & d,

Don't know where you live, but the National Wild Turkey Federation, San Diego Chapter has monthly meetings (& bull session), the 4th Tuesday of the month in Poway....Great place to meet like minded folks....:blush:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu