Leopard Shark Table Fare

SluiceCoot

Oct 25, 2014
Rancho
Figured I'd go fishing tomorrow night for leopard shark. I've always tossed them back but if I'm lucky I'm going to keep one. I've heard they piss through their skin and you have to kill them and bleed them right away or else their meat taints. Any truth? If so, what methods do you guys use? Is leopard shark tasty? Even worth keeping? Go.

I've never cleaned one but I once had some that a buddy caught. It was pretty good.. reminded me of thresher almost. Firm white meat, great for grilling, tacos and all. He was careful about cleaning it fast since you're right it can taste like ammonia I guess. My buddy cuts the gills quick then skins it out when he can. Some people soak theirs in milk too I hear to get out any leftover funk if any.

With all the great fish in the ocean, we have always released them as well. Great fun to catch tho..... ;)

I kept one a few years back, wouldn't hesitate to keep the next legal one i catch. Tasted great

I wasn't aware of the peeing through skin thing but i gut all sharks I'm keeping right away since it's so easy. Hard to pee out your skin if you have no bladder

They're good eating.

P.s. Shovelnose guitar fish are also good eating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caught a 5 foot one once. Bled it and it was delicious. Since they eat alot of crustaceans they taste like that. A little lemon butter and awesome eats!!!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu