Lessons learned from mule deer hunt

Zak

Mar 30, 2019
Just got back from the OR-NV border on a 4-day mule deer hunt. After my successful antelope hunt back in August I was eager to get out there and hunt again. Unfortunately I discovered deer are a lot harder to hunt and I wasn't successful, but I learned a lot of lessons below. Larry post coming up

Day 1 - I made the 14-hour drive to my unit, but by the time I took the circuitous route and rough road to get to my hunting spot, it was closer to 18 hours. My Plan A to get to my glassing knob fell apart because the road turned into an ATV road that beat up the truck. Thanks to wise advice from guys on this forum I made several backup plans, so I went to Plan B and circled around to another spot to make it to the high ground. I was able to hike in a good distance, but my plan to backpack up to the peak went out the window when the snow on the ground made any further approach impracticable. I was able to find an alternative glassing knob but didn't turn up anything. I also found out my "10F"-rated quilt is BS and I was freezing my tail off in the night at 20F. The Sea to Summit Sleeping Bag Liner that supposedly adds "14F" of insulation is also baloney.

Lessons learned from day one:
-Don't underestimate the amount of time needed to drive to my hunting grounds
-Don't put too much faith in the temperature rating of sleeping bags
-Think of liners as keeping your bag clean rather than adding any insulating value
-Even though I monitored the weather and saw no snow in the forecast, I should've checked historic weather so I would've known to expect snow on the ground

Day 2 - I stayed in the same area and did some more glassing. I saw some deer tracks which was a good sign. During my glassing session I saw a doe skyline herself at the top of the mountain, and the group disappeared over the ridge. Getting up there would be a tremendous effort, but I shortly glassed up another group of does that was at a reasonable distance. I kept eyes on them for half the day, but no buck showed itself. I would scan more of the mountain, then return to the spot where the does were to make sure they were still there. This is when I learned how easy it is to miss game: Even though I knew exactly where these does were, it would take my eyes sometimes up to a minute to see their shape amongst the rocks. My Plan C was quite a distance away, but I eventually got restless and made the long trek to my Plan C spot to see if I could find something better. It turned out to be completely desolate, and I found myself wishing I stayed with the does.

Lessons learned from day two:
-My backup waypoints looked nice on a map when e-scouting, but the actual commitment to jump between them can be a big investment of time and energy
-Be more patient next time I spot does instead of jumping somewhere else in hopes of something better

Day 3 - Now I was extremely far from my initial two spots, so I decided to check out other spots I had marked when e-scouting. These spots turned out to have some big country, but I went for it anyway and put the 10x binoculars on a tripod. Not sure if there was any game out there, but I definitely felt like the 10x's were inadequate and there were probably a dozen times when I wanted a closer look at something but was unable to. I found myself not even glassing the distant country because it was hopeless. I even tried the @HATCHET1 method and did some truck glassing, it didn't yield better results but admittedly was much more comfortable.

Lessons learned from day three:
-Invest in bigger optics to pair with my 10x binos
-Get a comfortable pillow for the truck so I can take a nap with the heater on

Day 4 - I was considering making the drive back to my initial spots since I at least saw does there, but there was a storm coming in and didn't want to get stuck up there. I stopped by the local town to refuel and met a couple of locals that told me where they saw bucks. I was losing motivation and running out of ideas, so I checked out their spots but no luck. There were a few roads I wish I could've taken but my truck didn't have enough clearance. I talked to another hunter and he said he was going to wait out the storm and look for bucks right after. I was jealous because I had to go home in the morning, wishing I planned more time for the trip.

Lessons learned from day four:
-Budget more time for my next out-of-state hunt, I'm already investing a lot of money and effort to get up there so I don't want to be limited by time
-Look into getting a better-equipped vehicle next season, I hated having to turn around several times.

So that's about it, I had a good time and saw some nice country. Already thinking about next year.

.zak-oct-31.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember what OBE WAN..said..."always take the high ground".. ..the truck part more than often will get you a win in certain situations..way to stick with it!! Strong work all around...them mulebucks can be tuff to find....I,ll guarantee you 3 things though...#1..their gonna be where there at. #2..their onna be where you find um.#3..they ain't glued to the pasture..better kill him when you see him.

lots of valuable lessons learned.
I would say about ~9 days minimum for a new spot for an inexperienced deer hunter like me.
Temp ratings on bags are what you will survive in. typically add about +10F for comfort when paired with a good pad.

What was the R rating of your pad ? And what quilt ?
Besides learning about being cold. Day 3 lessons will turn out to be priceless.
I was using the Thermarest Xtherm (6.9) with an Enlightened Equipment Revelation 10F quilt. I thought it was plenty, but I guess I sleep cold or something. Or maybe my head didn't have enough insulation. All I know is that I was nowhere near experiencing that "toasty warm" feeling!

Too expound upon Lungpoppers endorsement of lesson three-
1. 15x binos on the tripod for sure
2. Variable power spotting scope with around 60x magnification for sure
You are hunting the west and need to be able to see into the next county when in terrain like that and examine each and every shadow , bush and rock if you want to find a mule deer.
Welcome to an obsession if you drink the kool aid..

Reactions: sportyg
You are hunting the west and need to be able to see into the next county when in terrain like that and examine each and every shadow , bush and rock if you want to find a mule deer.
Oh yea, Don't waste your cash on cheap glass. To do this right you will be spending your money on glass made in Austria or Germany. There is some other stuff out there but I can't endorse what I have not used. Buy once cry once as the saying goes, buy the best and you will never be dissatified...P.S. Tripods and heads matter too. Do your homework, good info on this site as to what to buy. A cheap rifle and good glass will get you further than the opposite...

Make sure you have a chains for your truck as well snow and ice on those roads is no fun if you start to spin out.

Thanks, I have decent Swaro 10x's but will start saving up for good glass for next season. I researched around and there's the perennial debate of 12x vs 15x vs spotter. The BTX looks pretty amazing, might get a lot of versatility out of it for birding and astro use.

Good start on teh 10x Swaros. I carry 10x Leicas with teh built in rangefinder on my neck when I am in big country. No debate in my mind about 12x versus 15x , I own a pair of 12x Leicas and 15x Swaros . My 12's have sat at home ever since I got the 15's. The BTX is great if you hunt out of your truck they are quite hefty and not a good choice for lightweight hunting scenarios.

I was using the Thermarest Xtherm (6.9) with an Enlightened Equipment Revelation 10F quilt. I thought it was plenty, but I guess I sleep cold or something. Or maybe my head didn't have enough insulation. All I know is that I was nowhere near experiencing that "toasty warm" feeling!

A cold head is a killer for sure. Having a beanie and hoodie is a game changer. Try to camp on a south slope or something that gets a lot of sun exposure as well, it will also help you stay warmer.

Reactions: Designed2Hunt
Scrape the spotter but 18's are a must.
Don't leave deer to find deer. I bundle up head to toe before I slide into my bag if there's any cold weather.

Your trip sounds a lot like my UT cow elk hunt, except my weather was stupid hot. Like, the elk hid all day hot. When I got back, the first thing I did was buy a 20-60 x 85 spotting scope.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu