Let's talk next year......

Vermonster

Dec 14, 2012
Well, since everyone but the leftover A-22 and anyone who has M-6 (or 7??) tags left are done, we can start looking forward to next year. And, I am curious, now that everything in the San Diego area looks like it will be a draw next year, what will the application strategy be for you all?

For me, I love being in the woods during archery, and like being able to get buck or doe, but still have never shot a deer with a bow, So for that reason, I also like rifle. Just to have a chance at a great buck, always gets me excited for that season. But, I am torn now. Not really sure how to apply. A-22 and A-O would give me the longest season, both sex deer, but handicap me in terms of weapon.

Anyone thinking about it yet? Opinions? I just don't know what I will decide....... Good thing I still have 7 months......

I get A22 & AO. No long guns for me. If I don't get drawn for A22, I'll buy another AO.

The jury is still out for me.
Remember though, The AO tags can only be used during the general season A, B, or D zones.
They can't be used for special areas like A-22.

Hopefully I get drawn for wyoming and if not X9A for sure. I have plenty of points to get X9A this yr

JoseC tapatalk pro

I'll be trying for a G13 tag first with my second choice an A22 tag for a first tag next year. I'll probably apply for a D16 tag as a second tag next year also so that I have some options. I figure it can't hurt to have plenty of options.

Do you think if I don't put an A22 first that they will be all gone by the time the draw gets around to my second choice? Just wondering.

JoseC. said:
Hopefully I get drawn for wyoming and if not X9A for sure. I have plenty of points to get X9A this yr

JoseC tapatalk pro

We may need to hook up I have a few points that I won't use here

i liked the combo I had this year A-22 & D-16 . although I did not fill my D-16 tag it was great getting out & hunting with the rifle this year.
to be honest with my A-22 tag, if I get a doe in my sights. I will take her. I am more for the freezer. if I do see that big buck again well that's a plus.

next year I believe I will get a tag up north. don't know where yet.

Locally I will be going for A22 & AO. Outside of that is still TBD. Points are accumulating in Colorado and Utah but still not where I want or need them to be. I would love to get some elk meat in my freezer for once!

I have one point for antelope in wyoming hope i can go im also going to try to get a d16 tag along with a22 if not a22 ill get a AO tag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if you don't get an A-22, D-16, G-13 then you get always get an A-0 tag, there's no limit & it's over the counter. but it's buck only, as of this date. :D

I have zero points that I know of, I'm going to ditch d16 I think and go with the d19 since I moved to temecula and the back side of Palomar SUCKS..... To thick and to many hunters road hunting.

I don't know its all talk till you put in for next years tags

Ho knows I may stick wwith d16 but I have some serious scouting to do this summer

stikbrandon said:
I have zero points that I know of, I'm going to ditch d16 I think and go with the d19 since I moved to temecula and the back side of Palomar SUCKS..... To thick and to many hunters road hunting.

I don't know its all talk till you put in for next years tags

Ho knows I may stick wwith d16 but I have some serious scouting to do this summer

I agree brother to many road hunter, hikers, & on.

I thinking further north.

Sdbirds said:
JoseC. said:

JoseC tapatalk pro

We may need to hook up I have a few points that I won't use here
ok. Yea lets get together and see whats up. Let me see if I draw wyoming or not first though

JoseC tapatalk pro

K. Anyway I plan on doing some draws and then picking up the D 16 I do not think they will sellout

Kinda want to try D12

Mergrath said:
Locally I will be going for A22 & AO. Outside of that is still TBD. Points are accumulating in Colorado and Utah but still not where I want or need them to be. I would love to get some elk meat in my freezer for once!

What he said!!

Seems its gonna be harder next year for you D16 hunters with all these nice bucks being pulled out of that area, everybody's going to want that tag. I'll probably put X9A as my first choice, I think I have a pretty good chance since I seem to get drawn every 4yrs. Not sure on a local tag yet though and will apply for Utah again.

JoseC. said:
A-O is buck only buddy. good luck

I know, but the A-22 is either sex, and that's what I was referring to in my post.

longbowhunter2 said:
i liked the combo I had this year A-22 & D-16 . although I did not fill my D-16 tag it was great getting out & hunting with the rifle this year.
to be honest with my A-22 tag, if I get a doe in my sights. I will take her. I am more for the freezer. if I do see that big buck again well that's a plus.

next year I believe I will get a tag up north. don't know where yet.

Okay, that would be a great combo, but as I understand, you cannot hold 2 premium tags in a year, correct? And if both are "premium", we can't get both. Or, if I get A-22 in the draw, and D-16 does not sell out, at which point does it become "OTC" where you can purchase it with you second tag?

It's all so confusing. Also, forgot to mention, that if I end up with both archery tags, I wouldn't really be able to bring my then 8 year old along. Easier to do with rifle.

Maybe thinking D16 and AO. That way, I could still hunt early archery for a buck only, and then again with either weapon during the D-16 season.

Right on, LBH2. Meat in the freezer is what it's all about!

;D

Sent via Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu