Let's talk parallax in a hunting rig

MJB

Nov 20, 2012
San Diego
I'm putting together my 6.8 western, and I'm looking for 600 yds max scope.
My eyesight is not going to get better as I age so trying to make it easy to put it on fur and it's down

I look for the KISS concept all day everyday!

One of my friends just a month ago got a new scope which, in my opinion is more scope then he needs. He does not feel comfortable shooting at game at more than 300 yards., not that I do, He got a Vortex Optic Viper parallax adjustment SFP scope. $400. I think he got the 6.5-20x44. I agree on KISS.

See you picked a range 600 Yards where parallax might matter. You could and I say could induce 6" of error depending on where a fixed scope is set.

Accuracy is all about removing variables. Don't over look the easy ones, the hard ones add up quick.

400 fixed is good to go, 500 it gets wonky, 600 you best dial to win

Reactions: JakeSCH
I have built 2 custom rifles for kids. My sons 6.5 and a7-08 for my best friends kid. On both rifles I put a Leupold 14 power that does not have a parallax adjustment. I agree after 600 yards that’s where shit gets real. I just so happens that after we put the custom turrets on that 600 yards is right about where one revolution gets us too. Works great almost like we planned it that way. My 11 year old can dial out to 650 and hit targets when fully supported. Pretty cool.

I just put a NF 2-10 NXS on my lightweight rig, it’s a good reduction in weight and 10x can handle 600 yards with ease

Parallax helps make up for poor form…and It has helped me tremendously .

while hunting it is very difficult to keep perfect “form” in the field because actual shooting positions are usually awkward. If I was getting a fixed parallax scope, I would limit shots to 300y to 400y.

Here’s an 11yo going 600 with a 6.5 creed and a Leupold VX3 4x14 no parallax and a custom turret. He can do this anytime off the bipod as long as it’s a target and buck fever isn’t an issue.

Reactions: ilovesprig
It only happens when you get out of the truck stay away from that crap.
Trust me....that cut and stuff crap in the pack is overrated.....I don't shoot unless I can get the truck within feet of the dead mammal....plus I don't shoot far enough for parallax..75 yds max.....

Reactions: JakeSCH
Trust me....that cut and stuff crap in the pack is overrated.....I don't shoot unless I can get the truck within feet of the dead mammal....plus I don't shoot far enough for parallax..75 yds max.....

I agree the glamor of it is over rated. But after the fact it is fun to drink beer and joke about how much it sucked!

If i ever have a choice, it is to shoot the animal i can get the truck closest to!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu