Leupold CDS ..have you used it?

Wildgame

Feb 11, 2019
I have a scope with CDS. I bought it before the general season started and I am thinking to send it to Leupold to take advantage of the one-time free CDS set up. Since they have a 4-6 week turnaround, this might be a good time to do it.

I looked at the registration form on the Leupold website and of course, they need a lot more info than just the caliber you shoot. Among other things, they suggest measuring the speed with a Chronograph as opposed to going by the info in the box. Where do I get a Chronograph? I don't want to buy one for $100 bucks to use it once.

Also I zeroed my rifle at 200yrds and I am assuming that should not be a problem to set up the CDS.

Does anyone here use the CDS?

Thanks.

i used my friends cds and it works awesome.. he has his at a 100 yard zero and i marched his 300wm all the way to 800 yards and hit steel on first round. Yes you need a chronograph for best results but you might be able to barrow one. I would call and talk to leupold before sending in the cds card if you have any questions though, they have always been top notch on customer service in my experience

Reactions: Wildgame
My CDS dial was solid out to 600 until it quit tracking at all. I had it repaired at leupold but I have not tested it since. I would recommend trying to borrow a chronograph

I've seen actual muzzle velocities vary by as much as 100 FPS depending on your barrel length and the assume barrel length on the box...that said if you can take it out to 400yards and measure bullet drop from your zero (along with atmospheric data) you can approximate the delta velocity from the box.

What caliber / ammo are you going it set it for? Plan to use it for hunting?

Not a fan of cds turrets. And here is why. From zero to four hundred you don't need anything for most big game rounds. Past that the math and evroment affect the bullet to much to trust a averaged cds. The cds cant take into account things like air density and temp. Shooting east or west. Changing bullets or loads. Yes you can get the cds set right for one condition, direction, projectile, and load. If you want hits at long range develope your dope and dial the numbers.

I've seen actual muzzle velocities vary by as much as 100 FPS depending on your barrel length and the assume barrel length on the box...that said if you can take it out to 400yards and measure bullet drop from your zero (along with atmospheric data) you can approximate the delta velocity from the box.

What caliber / ammo are you going it set it for? Plan to use it for hunting?
I committed to Federal Premium 6.5 creedmoor 120 grain Trophy. The BC is 0.497
Yes my Tikka is for hunting and I want to be spot on up to 300yards.

I current own 4 different CDS scopes. Of those I’ve only used one of the free CDS vouchers. I like the concept, but there are just way to many variables that go into bullet trajectory to have a single solution on the dial. I’m in the same boat as TJD on this one. Keep the MOA turret on, run the numbers for the day using an app or dope chart and let her fly.

Reactions: Fishnplay57
The problem with the factory MOA dial is that it doesn’t have a zero stop.
I had one spin a full rotation one time and shot a buck threw both knees.
I’ll tell you guys a buck running on his knees and his face can still make some pretty good distance. Took a while to catch up to him.

Mine are the CDS zl2 so they do. Forgot the regular CDs doesn’t have the zero stop. I could see that as a problem.

If you just want to shoot 300 yards cap them, your drop is just 6 inches.

I have never missed big critters but I have on my coyote gun. The case was good at moving the windage knob on my pst

Yes but get an MOA turret so you can convert to any load. A custom turret for one load is problematic because things change, you'll need a different load for a different hunt or you hunt hunt at a very different altitude, etc. messing with different turrets is a PITA. They will give you 1 free turret and the custom MOA ones have a zero stop. I actually don’t love a zero stop because when you re-zero you may need to drop below zero and the you have to unscrew and reverse the turret.

I have set up 3 of the CDS turrets for rifles and I love them. My sons 6.5 we set up for 3000 ft and 50 degrees and it is accurate from sea level to 6000ft. I also set up my buddies 7mag with one on his VX3 6.5x20LRP and I zeroed it at sea level and ran it out to 800yards at 6000 ft and it was spot on. I know the number crunchers and the guys that running apps will say it doesn't add up but it works. Ill still use my Leica and an MOA turret for myself but they do work and I like them. I also run hand loads so I wouldn't know how much I would rely on them with box ammo.

Reactions: 180ls1
Interesting discussion. My ProStaff 9x40 is zero at 200. It has BDCs on it but I know the drop is 7.25 inches when I go out to 300 so I just aim a little higher. I think it is fine for out to 300 but I am looking at a Leopold just so I have better glass for the 400 yard shots.

John

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu