Live and Appreciate Every Day

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Had a tough week last week.....Cal Meier my hunting partner for 50 years (met at USC playing baseball) had a bad stroke last Monday.....He actually died Tuesday, but they brought him back....He's still alive and I actually talked to him yesterday.....Hoping for the best, but he is not in good shape.

Then last Thursday, Paul Conner (past president & my mentor to NWTF) and I had a meeting with the county folks to finalize the Santa Ysabel Youth Turkey Hunt.....At 12:00 we shook hands and said good bye.....He had asked me to change our meeting this week with the city folks to finalize the NWTF Spring Turkey Tune-up from Thursday to today….I told him I would try.....The city called me back Friday to say, no problem.....So I called Paul Friday morning to tell him.....That was his last conversation.....Brain hemorrhage......Still stunned and praying for his wife Vikki and his family.....:pensive:

Live and appreciate every day

.O'Side honkers 1978.jpg011.JPG

Had a tough week last week.....Cal Meier my hunting partner for 50 years (met at USC playing baseball) had a bad stroke last Monday.....He actually died Tuesday, but they brought him back....He's still alive and I actually talked to him yesterday.....Hoping for the best, but he is not in good shape.

Then last Thursday, Paul Conner (past president & my mentor to NWTF) and I had a meeting with the county folks to finalize the Santa Ysabel Youth Turkey Hunt.....At 12:00 we shook hands and said good bye.....He had asked me to change our meeting this week with the city folks to finalize the NWTF Spring Turkey Tune-up from Thursday to today….I told him I would try.....The city called me back Friday to say, no problem.....So I called Paul Friday morning to tell him.....That was his last conversation.....Brain hemorrhage......Still stunned and praying for his wife Vikki and his family.....:pensive:

Live and appreciate every day

.View attachment 37695View attachment 37698

Sending positive thoughts and prayers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Smokey58
I am sorry to hear that Steve. I have met both of these fine men at events and out in the field. I have sat around a few fires with Cal he is a great guy and I will be praying for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Steve sorry to hear that about Cal. I have talked him many times while we were standing in line at Wister. He was always very nice to talk to. Hope everything turns out in his favor

Steve,

Sorry to hear that.. I met Cal at your place awhile back and we had some good chats at the Tuneups. Likewise with Paul.. great guys that have done well for our sport here. Prayers for their families.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear Steve. It’s always harder when it’s unexpected.

Sorry to hear, praying for a full recovery for Cal and for Paul’a wife.

Steve, very sorry for hard times you are experiencing . You are so very right, live and appreciate every day. You never know when your life or the life of friends or family members will end. I always make a point of telling people I love just that. I told the grandkids years ago, never get together with me or your Nana without a hug and a I love you, you never know when it may be your last chance. Again very sorry.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Godspeed paul,

Hang in there sprig.....

Prayers for you Steve. Hoping Cal can improve.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My heart hurts hearing this. It is a special bond that us hunters share for our hunting partners.

So sorry to hear about this. You and everyone are in my thought and prayers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve, sorry to hear this. Paul Connor taught my sons hunter safety class last year. He was quite a character. I actually heard some cool stories about him and his days fighting forest fires.

In the last couple of years, Paul has had a huge impact on my life. He git me involved with the NWTF, and got me to help him with the hunter safety course he taught. In October I went to Colorado for deer with him and his wife Vikki. Had a great time,man I learned alot from him. I will miss him a great deal R I P.16746.jpeg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu