Live from slrhunting.com long range shoot

Excellent turnout! Looks like all had a great time. Thanks for sharing the pics. Enjoyed looking at them.

What a great event @TaftHunter and the other members of the Savage long range hunting club put on.

The day started out with a cold bore shoot, you buy in for 5 bucks and they draw a distance to start the shoot at. Next time I'm bringing a fouled bore up! Well 1k was drawn and we all sat down. I blew the shot and I was out, as did most everyone. @TaftHunter however did not disappoint and smacked it at 1k. They moved to 1200 and taft closed it out.

Mid part of the day was practice sessions with club members helping out less experienced shooters and everyone pretty much having a good time. I felt at home from the get go. Targets were all 2moa size and well placed lunch was served then more practice.

The hot shot compition closed out the day. Everyone had their dope figured out by then and we started at 550 yards. You could buy back in for 10 bucks one time. The wind was shifting quite a bit from the practice rounds and I preceded to blow the first shot at 550. DOH!!!!!! for some reason I over compensated for the wind and put it just off the target. I paid my 10 bucks and drilled it. The group got smaller and smaller as we got out to 1200 we made the turn and started back. Wound up being the shooter next me and we traded shots moving closer in range. I finally got lucky and he dropped his second shot and I won. The prize was a hart barrel from Steven white gun works.

After all that was done we picked up the 1200yard target and moved it out to a mile. I threw quite a few bullets at it but with the grass growing it was hard to see spashes. I got no hits. We did have one guy hit 2 of 9 with a credmore! That was good shooting

The 6.5rsaum did its job! Shooting very well today.

For you guys that might have been intimidated by shooting at something like this, you should have come up. There were lots of guys shooting bone stock rigs and with help they were making long shots. It's a great group of guys

Thanks for the invite and I can't wait to come up and shoot again!
20170225_152813_001.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats Bill......I'm not into long range stuff, but that sounds like fun.

ps.....I think I'll start calling you Quigley......lol

Last edited:
Or Squidly! Good looking rig Bill. Thanks for the post match followup. I can't wait to start shooting again.

Sounds like a good time I will have to go next time to meet some of you and get some times! Probably get showed up really badly but either way sounds like a lot of fun.

Sounds like a good time I will have to go next time to meet some of you and get some times! Probably get showed up really badly but either way sounds like a lot of fun.
that was the cool part about the event, no one felt like bad if they were lower skill level. Not that @baboltin is lower skill level you would have been right there, You kill a lot of critters! A first time shooter would have been right at home with everyone helping out!

for you new guys who have never seen my rifle. here is the build list
Eliso RTM tube chassis
pierce tube action, slightly modified Remington patern700
Jewell trigger with bottom safety set at 3.5oz +-
bartlein barrel 8.5 twist 32" long 5" straight to a 1" taper at muzzle
removable holland brake so i can shoot Fclass with no brake.
scope is a vortex 6-24 soon to be a vortex 15-60 competition scope.
chambered in 6.5 Rsaum shooting 140gr hybrids pretty fast :)

that was the cool part about the event, no one felt like bad if they were lower skill level. Not that @baboltin is lower skill level you would have been right there, You kill a lot of critters! A first time shooter would have been right at home with everyone helping out!

for you new guys who have never seen my rifle. here is the build list
Eliso RTM tube chassis
pierce tube action, slightly modified Remington patern700
Jewell trigger with bottom safety set at 3.5oz +-
bartlein barrel 8.5 twist 32" long 5" straight to a 1" taper at muzzle
removable holland brake so i can shoot Fclass with no brake.
scope is a vortex 6-24 soon to be a vortex 15-60 competition scope.
chambered in 6.5 Rsaum shooting 140gr hybrids pretty fast :)

Well thank you and I will have to go next time forsure then !

Sounds like a awesome rifle ! I want to build a 6.5 after I'm done with my 28 nosler and I still have some work to do on my 7 mag as well. Once the weather gets nice I will be making some progression on it all .

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu