Local black powder vendors?

wyorob

Oct 26, 2018
Ant recommendations for socal area black powder supplies? I know Bass pro in rancho Cucamonga has a limited selection of powder and supplies but was hoping someone closer might.

So far all the shops I've called carry the rifles or occasionally carry the rifles, but not the powder, caps, balls etc.

Heading to Idaho (again) for the first week in December for my first cow elk muzzleloader hunt in the panhandle. Picked up a muzzleloader rifle but can't seem to find places that carry the supplies and accessories.

You can still legally order separate reloading components online. And have them shipped directly to you. For the time being. Who knows how soon before they come after that also.

Might give Phillips wholesale a call. I get all my reloading supplies from them. Not sure about black powder though. They are in Covina.626-331-3022. They are only open certain hrs.

Unfortunately there isn't much out there any more as far as what local gun stores keep in stock. I've been having to either go to Bass Pro, order online or been able to pick up when traveling out of state to stock up supplies. Online would be the best bet so you can at least get some practice in before you go.

Bass Pro was is a no go as of now. SB sheriffs came in and confiscated all the powder. They said something about there been instructed that this is a law regarding how much powder can be stored for sale. 20 pounds or under I believe.

• Angry
Reactions: dirtriddr
Do any of you do any of the additional muzzle loader hunts? I was just looking at some of the additional deer hunts and may be inheriting a muzzle loader soon. If this weekend doesn't work out for the end of D13 can always get out late with the muzzleloader. Just curious if anyone else has had success or advice with muzzle loaders.

Do any of you do any of the additional muzzle loader hunts? I was just looking at some of the additional deer hunts and may be inheriting a muzzle loader soon. If this weekend doesn't work out for the end of D13 can always get out late with the muzzleloader. Just curious if anyone else has had success or advice with muzzle loaders.

I’ve been shooting my muzzleloader for over 35 years now. I recently started hunting late in life and hopefully one day when I learn what I’m doing I will be able to hunt with it. I can see where it definitely could expand your season and add extra challenges.

Reactions: smokindice
Wait wut?

The d13 tag is good for muzzleloader too?? I thought that was an entirely separate special tag in CA?

Bass Pro was is a no go as of now. SB sheriffs came in and confiscated all the powder. They said something about there been instructed that this is a law regarding how much powder can be stored for sale. 20 pounds or under I believe.
Super lame.

I ended up piecing together what I need from several local shops and mail orders. It would be a shame if there was a legit gunstore in California

Wait wut?

The d13 tag is good for muzzleloader too?? I thought that was an entirely separate special tag in CA?
They are separate, I just mean since I didn't get a deer the last weekend of.the season I still have some options out there. I am not entirely sure how the additional hunts work but I was looking at the list the other day and saw Ventura and santa baebara on the list. Need to do more research though.

I know this is a old post.but i wanted to ad.me and my father shot tons of black powder together. We got literally all our stuff from Cabelas.
I would suggest getting a catalog.
Heres one of the 50s i have.my dad had one too but he put a double load (lol,it was crazy.w/flames shootin out two feet)in it and cracked the stock and i sold it.
But i still have this one.OMG, TONS I FUN.i loved shooting my walker at the 100 target and hitting bulleyes.Everytime it went off it was loud and smoky.everyone at the range watched in awe.
0731200012.jpg0731200011.jpg0731200014.jpg

Ant recommendations for socal area black powder supplies? I know Bass pro in rancho Cucamonga has a limited selection of powder and supplies but was hoping someone closer might.

So far all the shops I've called carry the rifles or occasionally carry the rifles, but not the powder, caps, balls etc.

Heading to Idaho (again) for the first week in December for my first cow elk muzzleloader hunt in the panhandle. Picked up a muzzleloader rifle but can't seem to find places that carry the supplies and accessories.
Where do you live? Duncan’s in San Marcos carries black powder, caps and balls (lead). To hunt with PRB you’ll need a ball from a company called ITX.

I know this is a old post.but i wanted to ad.me and my father shot tons of black powder together. We got literally all our stuff from Cabelas.
I would suggest getting a catalog.
Heres one of the 50s i have.my dad had one too but he put a double load (lol,it was crazy.w/flames shootin out two feet)in it and cracked the stock and i sold it.
But i still have this one.OMG, TONS I FUN.i loved shooting my walker at the 100 target and hitting bulleyes.Everytime it went off it was loud and smoky.everyone at the range watched in awe.
View attachment 45119View attachment 45120View attachment 45121
I have this same rifle, it’s fun to shoot. Traditional blk powder is fun to shoot and much cheaper than centerfire.

Rt i often thought about iusing it for deer reg.season
But my big thing is what do you do at the end of the day to unload it?
You hit a deer with a 50 its gonna be nasty

Rt i often thought about iusing it for deer reg.season
But my big thing is what do you do at the end of the day to unload it?
You hit a deer with a 50 its gonna be nasty
In CA a blackpowder rifle is not consider loaded unless the rifle is capped. You can leave the powder and ball in the rifle until the season ends. I haven’t shot a deer with mine yet, but because you can’t use a lead ball to hunt with there’s a really good chance you’ll get a pass through with an ITX ball. A sabot round is probably a different story however.

I have the inline 50 with a scope too.made for hunting.
But id prefer to use the hawkins with open sights.
That would make it feel truely traditional.

Reactions: Blkpowder Hunter
I have the inline 50 with a scope too.made for hunting.
But id prefer to use the hawkins with open sights.
That would make it feel truely traditional.
I have a tag for this season D16. Did you draw a tag for the MZ or reg season? If you’re going to use your Hawkin and you haven’t done it yet, you should replace the ram rod that came with your rifle. I agree on making it more traditional and harder.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu