Long range camera

D16hunter

Jun 28, 2012
San Diego
I'm not sure if I'm posting this thread in the right spot but whatever. I was wondering what kind of camera you guys use to get live shots of game in the field. I was messing with my moms canon rebel with a 75-300 mm lens today and that thing takes awesome pictures I think I could get good pictures of deer out to 400 yards. I'm thinking about getting one for myself does anyone have an opinion on that camera or a better one for getting live shots of game In the field for under $700?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like Canon cameras.........The Canon Power Shot SX 160 IS, 16 mps, 16X zoom is my go to...........Small enough to take anywhere, yet takes good pix up to about 300 yds or so.......I like the fact it uses AA batteries and takes any MB card.

This buck was at about that 300 yd range......Regular lens to full zoom........All hand held. Good rests makes for better pictures.......The camera is tripod adaptable.

It also takes good videos....The camera man isn't so good sometimes tho...........lol

Under $200.00 at Wal-Mart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBXj16JlFSE

Attachments

• IMG_8689.JPG
    IMG_8689.JPG
    622.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8693.JPG
    IMG_8693.JPG
    648.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8697.JPG
    IMG_8697.JPG
    570.9 KB · Views: 11
ilovesprig said:
I like Canon cameras.........The Canon Power Shot SX 160 IS, 16 mps, 16X zoom is my go to...........Small enough to take anywhere, yet takes good pix up to about 300 yds or so.......I like the fact it uses AA batteries and takes any MB card.

This buck was at about that 300 yd range......Regular lens to full zoom........All hand held. Good rests makes for better pictures.......The camera is tripod adaptable.

It also takes good videos....The camera man isn't so good sometimes tho...........lol

Under $200.00 at Wal-Mart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBXj16JlFSE

I'll be looking at that camera for sure. Also That's a good buck hope you get him

You Can try Digiscoping, its a attachment to connect you DSLR camera to your spotting scope it will give you the distance your looking for with great clarity

A lot depends on what you want to do, If you want the quality of a SLR then long range is going to cost you more than 700. The rebel body is fine but glass like the 75-300 will not give you the results you want. At the low end the 70-300usm at around 700$ just for the glass would be a base line to work from. On a crop sensor like the rebel that gives you almost 500mm of focal length.

Point and shoots are great and can take amazing photos, they are small and you tend to take them with you when you do not feel like lugging around tons of gear. The camera that sprig runs is a good one and if you are just out for fun then its a good choice. i am split on what i take out. Some days i only take out my tiny camcorder and some days i take out my big stuff. other times i use my phone....

What i do know is that when you have to get the shot and light and speed matter, Nothing matches a good slr with fast glass on it.
252_zps3d0fdcb0.jpg

just for a example notice the water droplets on the ducks belly. Here is a crop of that image below. that kind of detail is is a SLR with good glass thing.

drops_zpsb30d7e8d.jpg

u7esuhed.jpgesebarez.jpg
Two decent photos I got today with my moms canon I'm getting one for sure

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu