Long range elk

Ofdscooby

Oct 28, 2018
I just posted my elk I shot in the big game forum but wanted to show off the rifle a bit and talk about the shot.
I was shooting a 7mm x300 win and it is truly a canyon rifle. I carried this only on short hikes and had my lighter 7 mag for the longer hikes. The rifle is a Remington 700 action that has been trued, Bartline 3b barrel, McMillan stock, Jewell trigger, with a nightforce NSX, I was shooting 180 grain Berger’s with 70 something grains of retumbo. It fires those 180 Berger’s at 3020. The shot was at 809 yards I hit the elk twice and it didn’t go 20’. This is my longest kill yet and I know some people will poopoo the whole thing. However I practice all year for shots like this and in that terrain you cannot get closer and get a visual of the animal. I dialed up 13.7minutes and 2 minutes left for a 5 mph cross wind. Both shots were lung shots on opposite sides as he did a 180 after the first shot. 25ADDCE6-41D0-4A01-81CA-7454BD522B40.jpeg

Good shooting. I am building a rifle now to be able to make shots like that. I have been practicing to 800 since last year but am not ready to try on a animal yet congratulations.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

No hate at all on the shot, only the shooter can say what’s within their skill sets. Great work my man. 180’s are a great bullet!

Reactions: MasonP and NBK
Bitchen! Left handed guns shoot better it’s a fact. I am shooting the 175EH in my 280AI it’s really hard to bead Berger’s accuracy especially when you start stretching them out.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Bitchen! Left handed guns shoot better it’s a fact. I am shooting the 175EH in my 280AI it’s really hard to bead Berger’s accuracy especially when you start stretching them out.
Just curious, what kind of velocity do you get with the 175? And how long is the barrel? I hear great things about the 280

Reactions: TRICER
We've been known to shoot 80lb coues deer at 5 or 6 hundred yards. It's all relevant bro..practice truly does make perfect.. congrats!! Oh...we like the 300win for those ranges with a 200 grain bullet ..but the 257wbymag does a fine job with. 120 on calm days.

@Ofdscooby the 7-300 is a performer for sure. Certainly more than capable of the shot you have taken. The 7mm is such a versatile bullet.

Great post and one heck of a shot! And how about those big Bergers. Yowza! Did you find any of the bullets? Did any pass through? We have questions, many questions. What rangefinder, what ballistic app? What were the big 180's doing velocity wise?

I have everything pre-entered on the applied ballistics app. I use a Leica 2800 rangefinder and I really like it. Those Berger’s were going 3020 and I did find one bullet. I’ll try and find it and post a pic. Whenever I get to the area I like to show up with a clean gun then fire some shots to get the barrel ready and I can double check dope. You would be surprised if you look at the numbers drops should be significantly different for me coming from sea level. However on a couple of my rifles there isn’t much of a difference in drop . I was able to take this rifle to 1300 yards on rocks right before the opener to verify dope.

I really like the 7-300WM! I was tempted to build a light weight one since I have a ton of Peterson 300WM brass.

Reactions: TRICER

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu