Long Range Upland Hunting

NBK said:
I have been shooting #6's out of my 20 gauge with a modified choke and can stone eurasians and pigeons at 40-45 yards. It is all you need. If you are shooting beyond that go with #4's. ;D

Good stuff NBK

heres some info I dug up in the Internet. I really need to practice more with the clays.

Attachments

• DoveIdentification.pdf
    552.9 KB · Views: 15
NBK said:
I have been shooting #6's out of my 20 gauge with a modified choke and can stone eurasians and pigeons at 40-45 yards. It is all you need. If you are shooting beyond that go with #4's. ;D

Thanks for the tip jefe!

more info for the younger guys who will read this post.

Attachments

• lead_clay.jpg
    lead_clay.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 146
  • lead_pheasant.jpg
    lead_pheasant.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 148
  • lead_pigeon.jpg
    lead_pigeon.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 151
Maybe we could start a new TV show Long Range Dove Crushers!

Ok clearly i can't change your mind so ill feed the fire.

This is what you want to shoot if you are going to reach out and hurt lil birds at 60 yards
http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Golden-Pheasant-GPX-Nickel-Plated/productinfo/36512GPX/

1485fps nickel #5 shot 1 3/8, Its the sledge hammer of upland loads. You could switch to #4 shot for 70 yard plus range. This is the only ammo i shoot at wild Pheasants and its a death sentence. This weekend i am going to do a test at marked yardage and see how far away i can kill a dove with #5 shot.

Past that Dead Coyote loads from Hevi-shot could take you out past 100 yards

I agree with Bill....people don't realize upland birds are smart.

For dove movement and breaking up your out line is key. Full can help but not that much a heavier faster harder load can help more.

Quail you can pattern them if you hunt the same area. A hawk call will make them hold tighter and most important be quiet their first defense is hearing then most will run/hold then flush second. Make sure you listen for movement in the bushes then hold tight. And if all else fails use a blocker as long as he's quiet and does not move unless you two can pinch them in a spot. Camo is a must they will look as they flush for which way to fly and don't unload on one bird most of the time their is more in the same area getting ready to fly so pick your shots and reload quickly.

Pheasants which is my favorite is one of the smartest birds you can hunt. They listen so well nature gave them a bigger ear hole than their eyes. First they hold, then they run and last they flush. They will look for you when coming out of the ditches and they love to loop around you in the fields. When hunting them get a good line of hunters for the fields, make lots of noise and watch out in front of you for movement. Have the guys that are blocking to be quiet and hold strong on points or breaks on nearby fields that hold cover. They also like to flush from the same spot so if one birds goes cover that spot. They also will run left or right of you instead of out in front so the end guys on the drivers need to be just a little ahead of the rest be quiet and look ahead for birds running parallel of the drive line.
Ditches must have blockers that are quiet and at least one on each side about 20-30 yards away so they will run out then fly. Now the hunters that drive need to make noise and have at least a dog or human in the middle. throwing rocks and sticks which is a full time job so take turns go slow and listen for movement. The drivers is best to have two on each side one about 20 yards off the ditch and 20-30 yards ahead and be quiet and listen for movement. Camo is important if they spot you. Maybe the most important thing when using dogs keep them close I know you pointers will disagree but it's a fact wild birds won't hold they run. Every year I hunt with GSP's and if I see them running long I will block and shoot the birds the pointers flush 100 yards in front of you. Then after a few fields they want to block and my dogs hold tight and they don't get many shots until the line of pushers get to the end which is the way it works.

Theirs more on hunting these three birds but each situation can require a change in approaches.

I totally agree with the pheasant driving tactics and quail flushin I have personally been in on hunts in mex and used those exact tactics and they work great. My best day a few years back I was blocking a Milo field and shot 16 roosters on 1 drive. It was epic. We then snuck down the ditch line and shot 100 plus quail for 8 guns.sat under the trees and shot five in droves. Wing shooting mex rocks. I shoot pheasants with fiocci golden pheasant 13/8 #5 at 1400 and its deadly out to 70+ on big birds. The most challenging dove shoot I've had was this year . We hunted cut wheat with a mojo and it was ridiculous action. The decoy was a little closer for the kids and I'll tell ya shooting dove at 15 yards with a full choke is difficult which I like. It did not destroy the birds either supprisingly. I have notices that my Remington HD chokes pattern steel very consistently and lead very erratic. Steel seems to kill differently also alit less tearing and exploding and just shoots holes in um. The steel of yesteryears I have sucks but the new stuff rocks.

This stuff rocks! Seriously! I mean Seriously!

Attachments

• prairie_storm-tfb.jpg
    prairie_storm-tfb.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 76
  • prairie.JPG
    prairie.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 130
  • Federal_PrairieStorm_chart.jpg
    Federal_PrairieStorm_chart.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 77
The tactics work in the US also.

I'm a golden pheasant guy but mine are 1485 out the barrel. I've tried the storm stuff a few hundred rounds but the GPS was just a little better for me.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu