Long Season and Nothing to Show.

Im on secondary areas now.... one decent group of does ive been watching. Putting it all on them now. Couple more hunts is all I have left this week and then its time to pick up the bow. Hoping these last couple hunts something with horns will be with them.

Reactions: NBK
It ain't over until it's over. I got my buck ~15 minutes after sunset with ~15 minutes of shooting time left. I had almost bailed when he showed up. I've read so many articles/posts/etc. of people who get their deer on the last day of the season in the last 5 minutes. Keep at it!!

It ain't over until it's over. I got my buck ~15 minutes after sunset with ~15 minutes of shooting time left. I had almost bailed when he showed up. I've read so many articles/posts/etc. of people who get their deer on the last day of the season in the last 5 minutes. Keep at it!!
I always read about it too and sure enough this year my wife's uncle who I was elk hunting with back in Oct finally got his cow with 10min of shooting light left on the last day of the season.

Never quit. If you are walking back without a headlamp you left too soon.

Reactions: stikbrandon
Watched the does again this evening... one spike joined the group now since Sunday. Any day now.. tick tock tick tock.... I can hear the clock ticking in my ears now lol

Never quit. If you are walking back without a headlamp you left too soon.
It's funny you say that. On Saturday, just as it was getting dark I checked my pack to locate my headlamp and realized I'd left it at home because I used it for BBQ'ing the night before. Had to bail early.

My new headlamp just arrived. This one will not leave the pack except to be charged.

It's funny you say that. On Saturday, just as it was getting dark I checked my pack to locate my headlamp and realized I'd left it at home because I used it for BBQ'ing the night before. Had to bail early.

My new headlamp just arrived. This one will not leave the pack except to be charged.
I always carried two, just in case one died, and a hand held , it happened to my partner the way in no light.

Reactions: YETI
Passed on a small forky this evening at 80yds! He was small... real small and goofy. He was thrashing through the brush below me making all kinds of noise. Pops out at 120 yards and just stands there for 5 minutes staring at me. I pulled out the grunter and let one out. He came in to 80yds before he picked up my scent. The end is near.... im seeing deer every little hunt I can squeeze in! I parked at the gate at 3:30 and hauled ass in there. Had a good hour or so to watch deer. Just not seeing the shooters! To late to move spots at this point.

Seen a 4x5 this evening through the spotter.... pushing at least 22” wide. Heavy horned and meat for days on him. He must of been a mile out and working a ridge I would have to figure out how to get on , was not enough shooting time left and he was headed some where. Just one Mature Buck. I was stoked to even get a glimpse of him. I Work tomorrow at 4pm and possibly Sunday fml. If this evening was my last hunt for the rifle season Ill take that ending. Cams going up in January and gonna put this guy at the top of my hit list. Some thing about these socal muleys. They are so majestic and give you all you want in a hunt , they keep you working for sure. I might squeeze a hunt in tomorrow morning. Atleast see if I can start to pattern this guy.

Seen a 4x5 this evening through the spotter.... pushing at least 22” wide. Heavy horned and meat for days on him. He must of been a mile out and working a ridge I would have to figure out how to get on , was not enough shooting time left and he was headed some where. Just one Mature Buck. I was stoked to even get a glimpse of him. I Work tomorrow at 4pm and possibly Sunday fml. If this evening was my last hunt for the rifle season Ill take that ending. Cams going up in January and gonna put this guy at the top of my hit list. Some thing about these socal muleys. They are so majestic and give you all you want in a hunt , they keep you working for sure. I might squeeze a hunt in tomorrow morning. Atleast see if I can start to pattern this guy.
Saw 16 last sat, these two included. 8 on Sun. Still going stick and string. Big guy was 509 away, lil fella 280. If I had a smoke pole would have patched them.

Reactions: Cali Ridge Runner

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu